Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: HELP Please with DEEP Jiging Tips.

Post Thanks / Like

Default HELP Please with DEEP Jiging Tips.

I have been trolling for Crappie for years but have just this spring started trying to learn to vertical jig.
    The lake tat I will be fishiong is Deep and clear. I need all the help I can get.
    Thanks in advance , Mike

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

The first thing is proper weight and light enough line to get to proper depth. I use 1/8 oz up to 16' or so then up it to 1/4 oz if much deeper. Pefer to use clear 8 lb flourocarbon but if it is extremely clear water you may need to downsize line.

Post Thanks / Like

Vertical jigging is simply trolling sitting still. I use a four rod holder and place my rod tips about 2 feet apart. Depending on the winds I use 1/16 for no or very light winds. 1/8 for stronger winds and 1/4 for blustery days. You want o know the depth the fish are holding at so a good sonar is your best bet. Locate structure and fish and then jig about right at the top and all around the structure. If you don't get hung up at least once on the structure then you are not deep enough. I usually get hung at least once in brush piles i am new to. The slight movement of the boat is enough to entice a bite. You can slowly "rock" your boat as well to draw a bite. Give them at least a little movement to draw their attention. Use long poles for vertical jigging. I use 10' some use 14'. Use what is comfortable to you. 6 lb mono line is best to feel the bites. Just set your poles up and sit back and relax. If no bite then troll over a few feet close to same structure. Deep fishing (20' or more) is just like shallow (10') as the fish just want to hold near points or structure. Just takes longer for your lure to get down if you use a light weight head. Hope this helps.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Likes Knot2Bad LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys, I appreciate the info.
    If I can figure out a way to get off work this weekend I am planning on PRACTICING again.
    Thanks again, Mike