Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Mtl - 4/24 - 4/27

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mtl - 4/24 - 4/27

Got that feeling and felt the need to head west to the great state of Missouri (just to our cabin, nothing major).

4/24 -

Rolled in Thursday afternoon, opened the cabin up and hooked the boat....... had to run her into town to fuel her up and burn some time while Dad made his way over. Back to the cabin by 4:00 and went for a quick mushroom walk, found 2. Dad showed up just as mother nature unleashes her fury but, no lightning so we hopped in the truck and made our way to the ramp. Put in while it was still raining, made a 15 minute boat ride and BOOM, in the fish immediately. Fished from 5:30 - 7:30 in the rain and kept (20) really nice fish. No jig and cork, no bank fishing....bout 15 feet off on the first drop, some would hold it, some would hammer it.

4/25 -

Dad had to go into work, but we were both up at 4:15 for coffee and I set out my strategy. At the ramp and boat-ridin by 6:00, first fish in the boat @ 6:25. They certainly weren't stacked anywhere but I'd pick a few up here and there, again, all nice fish with only 5 throwbacks. Had the water to myself until 9:30 and finished @ 10:45. I think people were expecting them to jump in the boat as I saw a lot of unhappy campers as they were beating the banks. Have I mentioned Mark Twain is a fickle lake???? She sure can be deceptive!

Name:  4-25-14 (2).JPG
Views: 584
Size:  122.8 KB

Got back to camp, cleaned fish and went for another mushroom walk, in the same place I did the day before...... slightly different results:

Name:  4-25-14 (3).JPG
Views: 591
Size:  87.6 KB

4/27 -

Back to town Friday night but Dad and Little Bro went back over yesterday and had a great day. Put their last fish in the boat as the first rain drops started and got into the truck as it unleashed!

Altogether a great weekend for the boys with more to come. Lake is on a rise as of early this morning so it'll delay things a bit (good for the MTL Crappie Camp group)......... more fun to come.

U
    Likes south point, working man LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good weekend. Congrats on the fish and the find. I friend of mine is heading up there this weekend with a group. I'll pass on the info, but with the lake on the rise, it'll be a whole different ball game.

Post Thanks / Like

You caught some nice ones Robbie. Looks like a fish and mushroom fry coming on.

Post Thanks / Like

great report, congrats on a good time

Post Thanks / Like

great report, Robbie! you sure got something figured out.
    hopefully the lake stabilizes some, I am hoping to make a trip this weekend. if I do, expect some text messages!

Post Thanks / Like

Great report Robbie hope they are around next month when we show up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by south point View Post
    great report, Robbie! you sure got something figured out.
    hopefully the lake stabilizes some, I am hoping to make a trip this weekend. if I do, expect some text messages!
    I plan on being over there but not sure about fishing......... gotta see what the lake is doing and we have a couple little things to get done around the cabin, not to mention the mushrooms should be in full force!

U

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ripnlips View Post
    Great report Robbie hope they are around next month when we show up.
    I have a sneaky feeling that this rain and cold front is exactly what we needed to slow things down (and protect the fish a little bit). You can almost bet that as soon as the rivers stop running that the corp will pull the lake back down to normal pool, causing some days of lockjaw.

As mentioned, I'll be there the week leading up to camp so hopefully I've got some areas for you fellers.

U

Post Thanks / Like

Nice report Rob, haven't been lately but will probably see you the week of camp. Don't think the mushrooms are popping very good here yet but shouldn't be too long. The hummingbirds haven't arrived yet either but expect them anyday. This cool weather probably got em staying put for a few days.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice report. I'm headed out Sunday for a day of fishing but debating between MTL and LOZ (Coffman Beach). Both are the same distance for me. MTL beat me up pretty bad last year. Glad to hear things are going well so far.