Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Help me out

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help me out

I've been crappie fishing for a couple years off & on. I mainly use minnows, but I would like to start using jigs more. I know some people suspend a jig from a bobber while working it back in, but what about suspending a jig from a bobber & just letting it sit like with a minnow? I do a lot of fishing at night & just enjoy throwing out & waiting for the bobber to go under. Thanks for the help.

Ron
    Sinner by birth...Saved by the Grace of GOD!!!

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Stew .... that "might" work, if the fish are kinda hungry. But it's usually better for a jig to be moving.
    You might also consider simply casting the jig out and VERY slowly reeling it back in, when you're fishing at night. As long as you can see your line, from rod tip out into the darkness, you'll know when you get a hit. It's usually just one quick bounce of the line ... and when that happens, set the hook !! It can also be sudden slack line, like your jig has hit bottom, but you know it can't have. Set the hook !! And, of course, any hit that you "feel" ... you set the hook.

There are members that put a jig on the end of their line, then tie a loop up the line about 12-18" and put a hook on the loop (& a minnow on the hook) ... and fish it straight down from the rod tip, or even under a bobber ... and they say they catch Crappie on the jig. I've just never tried it that way, so I can't attest to having any experience with those setups.

You're probably going to have minnows with you, anyway .... so, if your jig under a stationary bobber rig doesn't get you any hits, then tip the jig with a minnow. Just run the hook point from under the V folds of the underside of the minnow's mouth, and out between the nostrils, and the minnow will be lively and live for quite some time.
    But, if you're thinking about using jigs & NOT taking minnows ... you're likely going to have to keep the jig in motion

... cp

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes a jig will catch sitting still or almost still as any wave action will move bobber holding up jig. Best bet is to impart action rather than letting it sit under a bobber.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie are sight hunters. Ambushers, really. They won't move fast or far for a meal. They also tend to hunt up. They also thrive in clear to turbid waters. So, move the bait and be at or above their level.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. So if I just want to go relax, I need to use minnows. I appreciate the help.
    Sinner by birth...Saved by the Grace of GOD!!!

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stew6371 View Post
    Thanks guys. So if I just want to go relax, I need to use minnows. I appreciate the help.
    No ... if you want to "relax", use a bare hook

If you want to catch Crappie, put a minnow in front of them or drag a jig through their strike zone !!

Just playin' with ya, Stew.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Stew, I fish at night and use jigs and minnows. I use minnows under bobbers and jigs vertical fishing. When I do use a jig under bobber I "work it" like others said to draw the attention of the crappie. Sometimes they will hit a motionless jig but usually some type of small movement is needed to draw the attention of the crappie to bite. This is where you can't relax as much.
    When I set my poles on my trolling rig and am fishing still I "rock" the boat a bit here and there and entice a bite. Other times they just hit my jig when I think I am sitting absolutely still but the waves may move the boat up and down very slightly drawing a bite. I think it requires at least "some" movement to make the jig work for you. Hope this helps.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

I have caught Crappie with jigs under a sitting bobber. Not on calm days but is the water has a lot of wind chop that will provide enough movement to initiate a strike. I you decide to go that way don't just stay at one depth if your not getting any hits. Start deep or shallow and keep moving it up up or down 1 foot at a time. If the waters flat then you have to give it the action needed to make things happen by either casting and reeling, jigging or some other idea you may have. You also need to play with colors of the jig as some colors seem to work better one day and not the next days. You know the game If it aint workin dont stick with it for long