Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: St Croix Panfish Series Spin Rods

Post Thanks / Like

Default St Croix Panfish Series Spin Rods

I just ordered one from Cabelas (only $5 shipping until the end of month) and they look awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-at6nbZjUU8

I'm a UL guy. I use 2lb Nanofil (diameter .002 thinnest line in the world) on a Micro Lite Shimano Stradic Ci4 reel.

Anybody else go UL for crappie? I used to drop shot and spider rig, but in these PA lakes, I catch like crazy with a UL spin and soft plastics on a micro jig.

The crappie are finally starting here in PA! Thank God!

Post Thanks / Like

I fish with St. Croix 6'6" UL and Shimano Symatry 750 with Nano. Love the setup. I use 3/32 with grubs.
    Life is Good !
    2018 Kentucky & Tennessee Crappie Masters State Champs!

Post Thanks / Like

Loved St. Croix rod until I realized how easy they break. I have stuck with the Pro Angler Tackle rods since then and will never go back. The Pro Angler are way more sensitive, cheaper and better made.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have the Panfish series, but I do have an Avid -- beautiful rod, one of my favorites.

Post Thanks / Like

Love that rod! I have the 6'9UL. The thing is SO light its incredible. The cork on it is a very thin diameter which makes the rod super light and very balanced. I have a shimano symetre 1000fd on it. You'll need a 1000 series for the 6'6 and 6'9. The micro reel and 500 series are too small and don't look nor function right (hits your knuckles with the way the rod is built) .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin22 View Post
    Love that rod! You'll need a 1000 series for the 6'6 and 6'9.
    Kevin,

Yeah, I agree. My Stradic is the 1000 series. It fits perfectly on a 6' to 7' rod. The reel size and handle are the same size as the heavy metal 1000 Stradics.

The "ML" series was designed for superlines under 5lb. It has a small inclosed drag that is super sensitive ..... a 5" bluegill can pull drag! LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I use allot of st croix rods. Only thing you have to watch is I sometimes find ones with too soft of a tip and it makes getting a hook set hard! Even though it says fast action I have found that to not be true in all there rods. To get a good hook set I have had to go to power pro to get away from bill dance hook sets... I ish bank mostly n have to sometimes make long casts. I use the primers, more solid actions and the avids that are less than impressive actions for there price. I felt the panfish series and they feel like a premier in the tip. Faster action. I would not recomend an avid. But... I have picked up other panfish lengths n they was kinda soft mushy felling in the tip and speed to there action. I would really try to get your hands on one before deciding.
    And I also use 1500 symmetry shimano on mine and it's perfect for me. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I too have the Premiers in UL and love them. I prefer Shimano Sehara and Sedona (sp) reels. I use 4 and 6 pound mono and #6 and #4 Aberdeen hooks. 4 pound line gets the #4 hook and the 6 pound line gets the #4 hook. I mostly slip bobber. I love those #6 hook on 4 pound mono, most times I can straighten the hook and get everything back from tree sets.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Why do you need a $100 rod for slip bobber fishing?

I have a premier 5' UL as well, and it is a broomstick. Would not suggest it for anything really. I use it for vertical jigging walleye sometimes with 1/8 jig heads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin22 View Post
    Why do you need a $100 rod for slip bobber fishing?
    so you can look like you know what you're doing while you're not catching fish!!!
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer
    Likes Tom 513, Kevin22, AEFISHING LIKED above post

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast