Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Humminbird 598 ci HD SI combo is a major bummer

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Humminbird 598 ci HD SI combo is a major bummer

I scrimped and saved an finally got $800 in one pile at one time. Did my research, bought what I could afford, and eagerly waited for crappie season. I haven't been this disappointed since I learned there wasn't a Santa Claus. The lack of detail on the navigation charts was pitiful. My buddy's Lowrance was more expensive, but a much better machine. Wish that I had saved longer. That is my last Humminbird

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I understand your frustration ...as there is just not much information in the advertising specs of what the Unimap and ContourXD base map in the HB units actually consist of...(especially with the vast amounts of researching one must do when trying to decide on such an important and expensive undertaking)...

The 598ci HD SI Combo comes standard with supplied Unimap...which is basically just lake outlines that saved waypoints will be transparently imposed over...

The 700 series and above chartplotting units come standard with supplied ContourXD...which is a mere 3000 covered lakes with some contour detail ...and all other lakes in the US of just lake outlines as explained above like Unimap...(the US alone has tens of thousands of lakes - it's unlikely anyone's home lake will be 1 of the 3000 included in the ContourXD map data)..

HB stopped offering built-in cartography (other than the ContourXD mentioned above)...with the cessation of the NVB models somewhere around 2011...(I think)...

All HB chartplotting units since that time can be coordinated with the aftermarket charting map cards by Navionics and Lakemaster....

Each have their advantages depending on your home lake mapping data needed...

Navionics covered lakes...
    http://www.navionics.com/en/hotmaps-premium

Lakemaster covered lakes...
    http://www.lakemap.com/Find-a-Lake/#.U1q4De69LYU

I realize that an additional "Ben Franklin + some" for a mapping card is difficult some times....but it will be worth it...

There are occasions that used map cards pop up in the forum's classified sections if you want to wait and try to save a few bucks buying a used map card...

Rickie
    Last edited by rnvinc; 04-25-2014 at 02:49 PM.
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Even my Lowrance unit had much much greater detail once I loaded the navionics card into it.

You might also check Ebay. I bought a map card that was only 1 year old for just a little over 1/2 of a new one.

As RIVNIC said don't be too disappointed until you try a map card.

You might try posting in off topic that your are looking for one. Might get lucky.

Good luck
    dfar

Post Thanks / Like

Default I shelled out for a Navionics card too. Pitiful

I spent the extra money for the Navionics card. The detail is still pitiful.

Quote Originally Posted by dfar View Post
    Even my Lowrance unit had much much greater detail once I loaded the navionics card into it.

You might also check Ebay. I bought a map card that was only 1 year old for just a little over 1/2 of a new one.

As RIVNIC said don't be too disappointed until you try a map card.

You might try posting in off topic that your are looking for one. Might get lucky.

Good luck
    dfar

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Navionics card and am well pleased.
    When nothing is going right, Just go fishing.
    Earl Dibbles Jr.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

How long have you had your unit and have you gotten somebody knowledgeable on HB units to help you set it up? I bought a 898 a couple of years ago and it was just an expensive GPS until I got rnvinc in the boat to help me tune it and get rid of all the unwanted crap they built into it that I had zero need for. Now I am extremely satisfied with my 898. I thought it was going to be a "turn it on and watch it go" thing and that wasn't the case at all. I installed a Navionics card and then when the new LakeMaster came out, I installed it also. It is now what I wanted it to be from the start. It has just taken me some on the water time to learn to make it give me the info I'm looking for. Don't give up on it just yet. I know some Lowrance guys who have spent tons of $$ on their units and have the same complaints you do.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes CrappieFlopper, slabbacks LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

What lake are you looking at and did you choose the navionics charts at start? Do you have the proper card? Should not be much difference in charts as they are from the same card. Though I will say you can not compare a $650 unit to a $1500 one. The 598 is an economical SI and a lot of features were cut to bring down the price. I am sorry you are having problems, I hope it is something simple we can help with. You can look at all navionics charts at this link and this is what they should look like on your finder. http://www.navionics.com/en/webapp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fatrap View Post
    I scrimped and saved an finally got $800 in one pile at one time. Did my research, bought what I could afford, and eagerly waited for crappie season. I haven't been this disappointed since I learned there wasn't a Santa Claus. The lack of detail on the navigation charts was pitiful. My buddy's Lowrance was more expensive, but a much better machine. Wish that I had saved longer. That is my last Humminbird
    I have the 598 and found a map card on here and it is well worth the extra money.

Juiced Up Baits Pro Staff
    K2 Coolers Pro Staff
    Mike's Custom Crappie Jigs Pro Staff

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I really think the map card in your 597 should show the very same detail the map card would show in larger HB units...(the map cards are compatible across several HB models)...

If the display is not showing the detail you think it should...it would either be a setting in the Chart tab menu of the HB unit ...or the map card lack of data for the area you are looking at....not a HB unit "problem"....

Can you post a snapshot of the chart view you are looking at...??...(even if it's a pic taken by a camera of the screen)...

Rickie
    Last edited by rnvinc; 04-26-2014 at 10:02 AM.
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Nav card for my 898 really helped a lot and works to put me where I need to be and keeps me out of the other stuff I want no part of. You said you got your unit and waited for (crappie season), I fish year round and if I break it down into the few weeks they spawn then it took me several seasons to get the hang of my 898 lol. I've read good things from guys that have your unit, give it some time...ask Q and try different settings. My setting may not work for you as yours may not work for me but you will find what your looking for sooner or later by trial and error.

good luck with it and hope ya get a boat load

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast