Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Have Located Fish But Can't Seem To Get Any Results

Post Thanks / Like

Default Have Located Fish But Can't Seem To Get Any Results

Hey y'all. I am new to crappie fishing and have just started because one of my buddies introduced me to a new spot that he has been catching them at from a rock bank. He told me to use a slip bobber minnow rig that is only about 15 inches in length because the fish are in real shallow water. I have been out 3 times in the past week and I've been skunked every time. At about 0900, I can see crappie slash up against the rocks chasing grass shrimp and minnows but I can't seem to get a bite. Any suggestions? I have tried using grass shrimp, minnows, and jigs. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

If you can see them they can see you. Don't wear bright clothes and try to blend in to your surroundings. Use a longer rod like a cane pole. You don't have to worry about casting so you can just dip the pole and not stir up the water. keep the minnow or jig in the bed and they will pick it up and move it. It happens quick so be ready to set the hook. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Are you using a very light weight bobber and weight? You want to make as small a splash as possible to not scare them away. They are VERY easily spooked and especially in such shallow area. Also try to cast past and drag the line to the spot. That will help also. Change colors of jigs also. Black/char always works well I've noticed.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I have a small slip bobber and a split shot to keep the bait down. The water is stained but I can see them splash on the rocks and I got a glimpse of one chasing minnows just below the surface. The water can ride and fall within 4 feet at this area so I think the tide is probably a factor.

Post Thanks / Like

Please explain the tide? Our waters vary due to water generation at times but when I think of tide I think of brackish water. just wondering in your case for CA.

Live minnow is hard to beat. If the water is stained try to switch over to a bright jig. You can still do this under the bobber to stay out of the rock, just throw out along the bank and just pop it back to you and let it set. the reason I say throw along the bank is to keep it in the strike zone longer. start deeper than normal and work you way in closer as you change the depth with the slip bobber. Basically running the bank. Hope it helps

Post Thanks / Like

If you can see the fish that shallow they are feeding up, shorten the depth of the bobber. Try 8" crappie feed up a good bit. As stated earlier too much surface disturbance is bad. Get a long jig pole and suspend the bait by hand or cast way past where you intend to fish. Stay after them, you will figure them out. Just remember, if it isn't working, don't hesitate to change.

Post Thanks / Like

If your friend is catching them. I would ask him exactly what he is doing. Or maybe go with you and show you what he is doing and how. Good luck!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips fellas. I'm going out again tomorrow morning so hopefully the odds will be in my favor. I'll post some pictures if I catch anything!