Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New To Crappie Fishing Have Located Fish But No Success?

Post Thanks / Like

Default New To Crappie Fishing Have Located Fish But No Success?

Hey y'all. I am new to crappie fishing and have just started because one of my buddies introduced me to a new spot that he has been catching them at from a rock bank. He told me to use a slip bobber minnow rig that is only about 15 inches in length because the fish are in real shallow water. I have been out 3 times in the past week and I've been skunked every time. At about 0900, I can see crappie slash up against the rocks chasing grass shrimp and minnows but I can't seem to get a bite. Any suggestions? I have tried using grass shrimp, minnows, and jigs.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Guy ... you might post this question over on the Calf. state forum, if you don't get any answers here.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure to not make any big splashes with your cork or bobber when casting to shallow areas. Use a light bobber and light weight or jig to get your bait near the shallow and drag it through the area you want to fish.
    Also, make sure the areas have some sort of structure or drop off near by as the females will hang out close to the shallows in these areas waiting to spawn in the shallows where the males hang out. They will bite better sometimes than the males in the beds. Try different jigs and colors. Don't be disappointed. Try new depths and new bait as well. Shrimp, shad, jigs, wax worms etc. will all do good.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

I fished for Crappie on John Martin Res. in Colorado a few years back. We were bank fishing on the side of the dam with lots of large rip rap. We started on the sandy bank but I decided to go rock hoping and we only had jigs with us. I tried the bobber stuff for a while but got discouraged after sitting on hot rocks for about an hour. I took the bobber off and just cast out the jig and let it fall. I let if fall slowly while keeping the line tight and I was getting hit on my 8 count. You know 1-2-3 and so on while the jig is falling. I think that was putting me right at the top of the rip rap and the black crappie were livin in the gaps. I go 10 crappie that day and my buddy didn't get a one but he wasn't doing what I was. So give that a try the next time you go and play with the colors and weights a little until you get some positive results. I did lose a few jigs in the rocks but what the hey!!!!!!

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Clear water can be tough even more if shallow. Stay far away as possiable and make little distubance as you can. Down size line if you have not already.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I have cashed in on that kind of bite with a fly rod and popper.
    edit: Don't get hung up on just throwing lead/meat combos. When they're on top give 'em what they want. It's a blast. Ocassional bonus smallie or bucketmouth, even channel cat is possible. I've caught them all this way.
    Likes GroutScout LIKED above post