Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2boat question

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2boat question

I was told that it is not good to leave a boat outside in the winter. If I start it like once or twice a month would it stay in okay shape?
    Thanx
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

As long as you have the motor tilted all the way down, so the water runs out (keeps freezing water from ruining the motor) there should not be any problems. If the batteries are left out they may go dead, but you can always bring them in or get a full charge on them before you leave the boat. Of course running will not hurt a thing as long as you have some water running to the water pump so your impeller doesn't get burnt up.

I leave mine under a open shelter year around and I have never had a problem... the only thing I do is put the full charge on, drain the water and leave it for the next trip.

Usually I fish in the winter some too, so it don't sit all season.

I noticed your in Bama so the weather should be pretty moderate like here in NC...

Good luck...Happy Fish'n
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

Cover it up and don't worry about it. Armor All the seats and trailer tires real good and get it where water won't stand in it. Keep the batteries charged up regularly and put a bottle of fuel conditioner in the gas and run it through it. You might want to change the gearcase lube before you put it up. Incase it gets real cold and theres water in it, it could crack your lu if it froze. But you live in AL. I'm right up in TN and I just cover mine and do all the things I just said. I also bring in my electronics. I fish in the winter so I don't "winterize" my boat. I just get it where the motor won't freeze up. Like trimming it all the way down so it can drain when I pull it out of the water.

I leave mine out covered all year. I'd rather garage it, but thats not an option. I just bought a real good cover and cover it up.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty
    I was told that it is not good to leave a boat outside in the winter. If I start it like once or twice a month would it stay in okay shape?
    Thanx
    Mine stays out year around and normally covered when not in use. I fish year around so I don't worry about starting it.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I was told to not only trim it all the way, but run it for a few seconds before you store it to make sure all the water is out of the lower unit. Then cover, drain all fuel, and you are fine.

Post Thanks / Like

How about leaving batteries on charge all winter? is that Ok?

Post Thanks / Like

I think leaving them on carge will burn the batteries up, but anyway it isn't necessary or worth the risk.

I forgot to mention the fuel stablizer, as I don't let mine sit that long. If you leave it all winter you will need a stabilizer.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

Put some 'rat poison' under the tarp. Might save some wiring! Heh! Heh! Heh! <*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by superdave1984
    I was told to not only trim it all the way, but run it for a few seconds before you store it to make sure all the water is out of the lower unit. Then cover, drain all fuel, and you are fine.

It's not real good to run it without water. The impeller is lubricated with water. You can burn it up pretty quick... That being said, I have seen a lot of people do it and they're motors seemed fine.

Still need to run fuel stabilizer through it even if you are going to drain the fuel. It'll keep the fuel in your carbs from varnishing. It's not possible to burn it all out of the carbs by pulling the line and running it till it dies either.

Oh and put some dryer sheets in the compartments while its sitting up. They'll smell good when you get it out in spring and repel critters too I have heard.
    Last edited by fiddlefarter; 11-16-2006 at 02:56 PM.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by willfish4food
    How about leaving batteries on charge all winter? is that Ok?
    If you have one of the newer on-board smart chargers you can leave it plugged in forever.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast