Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Newbie question.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Newbie question.

I just bought an Eagle Claw rod and reel. I'm on a very limited budget but I thought this was pretty good. Its called an Eagle Claw feather light combo. Here's the Amazon link. http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Claw-Featherlight-Bearing-Spinning/dp/B003ZZB7LI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1398382913&sr=8-3&keywords=eagle+claw+featherlight+combo

Anyway it has 6 ball bearings and a 1 year warranty, rod is ultra light, I somehow got it for $35 and free shipping but now I see the price has gone up to $60!
    I'm using this mostly for Crappie only and my plan was to do what others have said do which is spool it up with braid and then tie about a 24" florocarbon leader. Maybe some Power Pro 20lb hi-vis yellow and some 8lb. P-line floroclear. My question is.....wait for it....Why am I doing this? Here are what I "think" are the reasons.
    1. Florocarbon is almost invisible and thats good because some fish get spooked by line they can see.
    2. The braid and floro combo will provide ultra sensitivity for feeling the fish bite PLUS if I get hung up I can't get un-hung (is that a word) and I break off the floro leader, I only have to tie on a new leader.

Also I assume that using a double Albright, the line won't get stuck on the eyelets as the line is being cast?

What am I missing here? Is the braid and Floro leader really worth it? What other benefits are there? Is my idea of Power Pro 20lb and 8lb. Floroclear a good idea?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Not so sure I'd go with braid on a UL rod, but that's just me. Unless you're jigging a light jig in real deep water, the braid probably isn't going to benefit you that much. And if I'm not mistaken, it's rated for 2-6lb test line ... so I'd suggest some 6lb mono to start off with.

Unless you're fishing exceptionally clear water, you should be able to get away with 4-6lb test mono in anything from clear to hi-vis. Usually depends on how good your eyes are, if you're casting and a line watcher, as to whether or not you "need" hi-vis line. Fish don't really seem to care what color the line is, since that's not what they're interested in eating ... it's what's on the end of the line that dictates whether they'll hit it or not, and of course that depends on whether or not there's a fish around & if you get the bait in front of them close enough or not.

Don't get too hung up on all the "hype" about line shy fish, super sensitive braid/fluro combo, and all the latest/greatest high dollar rods/reels. There's probably more Crappie caught on rod/reel/line combo's that total less than $50 per outfit, than on anything else.

Now, of course, this is all just MY opinion ... and it and $5 might get you a cup of Starbucks

... cp
    Likes NIMROD, Eaglehorse LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks CP. As I was researching some of this I could only think about all the tons of fish I've caught fishing with my dad as a child. We used Zebco 33's and what ever line that came on them along with worms, hooks and bobbers. Thats it, end of story.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I know what'cha mean, Buck. My first recollection of the line I used as a young'un ... was black nylon, and probably 20-30lb test
    When I first got introduced to Crappie fishing, by my Grandparents, we used 8lb test Stren mono ... 6' fiberglass rods ... push button (spincast) reels of various brands ... and a hook/sinker/minnow rig, straight down over the side of the boat. Worked as good then, as it does now !!

If they were alive today, their jaws would drop to see what I use now ... and what it costs
    And they'd probably still outfish me with their "old school" equipment/tactics

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Zebco 33 were spooled woth 10-12 pound test, usually. I would expect a heavy line on a L/W reel would result in an out of balance rig. The result will be much shorter than possible casting ranges.
    I'll have to re-visit the albright knot. I use the blood knot to connect lines.
    I've used Trilene XL in 4-6 all my life for crappie and other panfish.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi you really need to get to lighter line period. That's the whole point of ultra light is to use light equipment. Get you some 2lb vicious hi vis yellow spool it on the reel (no leader needed) use1/32 or 1/16 oz. weedless jig head with 2" curl tail grub. Throw it out let it go to the bottom and slowly bring it back be sure to have your drag on reel set so you don't break the line when your fighting your fish in that's where the fun comes in with ultra light. Try this you will love it. Heres the last crappi I caught using this type of set up.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Likes wahanlin LIKED above post