Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: because you just have to do with what you have...

Post Thanks / Like

Default because you just have to do with what you have...

From reading my title, some people can afford the best, and then there are some that can only use what they have. Well, my dad and I fall into the second category. Getting ready for our 10th annual father/son trip next Wednesday (which weather doesn't look too good, but it isn't always about the catchin' as much as the time together...which is treasured due to him being a 1-year cancer survivor), and trolling motor problems. We have a bow mounted foot controlled minn kota, and the motor is done. However, we also have a motorguide motor/pedal only. SO, MY QUESTION, is there a trick to being able to use a Motorguide in a Minn Kota mount? We have always been ones who have "made things work", as being both of us are preachers, there's not much "extra" to work with. I have a couple ideas to try to make this work, but why reinvent the wheel if there is someone here who has already done it? Basically the shaft of the motorguide is 1 1/2", while the Minn Kota is 1 7/8".

I figure there isn't a part made to make this happen, as it wouldn't benefit either company.

THOUGHTS WOULD BE WONDERFUL, AS OUR TRIP IS SOON, AND DON'T WANT TO BREAK OUR TRADITION THAT BOTH OF US REALLY LOOK FORWARD TO.

AND, a side note...take your kids fishing! I am a youth minister that uses the boat as an opportunity to take kids out of their "situations" and chat with them one on one...and let them see the awesomeness that God has allowed us to enjoy while we are here. I also take my own kids fishing...9 year old daughter and my 5 year old son. The other evening, we were out as a family (wife included), and my daughter said "I like having time like this as a family, and we are lucky". MEANT THE WORLD TO ME, and made all the frustration of tangled lines, baiting hooks, etc. disappear. And, I got my dad to fish for the first time 10 years ago, as he took me ONCE when I was 9 (I'm 38 now). Sure, he is now 67, and with the cancer stuff this past couple years, I wasn't sure if I would ever get the chance again. Well, God has blessed us, and we are on our 10th year this year. Yes, I wish I had the past 20 of doing this with him, but I am not complaining at all with the past decade I've had. TAKE YOUR KIDS FISHING...SO MANY MEMORIES, LAUGHING, STORIES, SNACKS, OPPORTUNITIES TO LOVE! I would rather go with someone than by myself!

Thanks in advance for the advice!

mrwillis
    Likes shipahoy41, bdunn3, bistineaudon LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I do not know of a way to do that. And I tell you man if there was any way possible for me to get it to you by Wednesday I would give you my spare just to keep your tradition going. I fish with my dad might near every weekend and know how much it means

Post Thanks / Like

Cut a piece of radiator hose and wrap it around the shaft. Clamp it up good and you should be good to go. Might take a little trial and error to get it right. You could actually get 1-1/2 inch id hose and be a little closer to start with. A picture of your Minn kota mount would help.
    Likes Hanr3 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

A roll of duct tape would work too. Since the motorguide shaft is 3/8" of an inch smaller than the HB shaft, it's just a matter of filling the void. You need a piece of material 3/16" thick. IF the shaft needs to rotate in the bracket, use a clamp above the bracket to hold the motor vertically in place. Same concept used on transom mounted trolling motors.

God Bless and have a great trip!
    Thanks for doing Gods work.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Hat55 is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe God will make it happen for you. I am a 70 year old preacher, had cancer 11 years ago. Had a lady in my church ( cancer survivor) who told me there were blessings in cancer! I thought she was nuts, but she was right. My God bless you and your dad.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hat55 View Post
    I believe God will make it happen for you. I am a 70 year old preacher, had cancer 11 years ago. Had a lady in my church ( cancer survivor) who told me there were blessings in cancer! I thought she was nuts, but she was right. My God bless you and your dad.
    Hat55...it has been an extremely scary ordeal. He had a double masectomy, and all the muscle around the breasts were removed. He lost a lot of upper body strentgh (obviously), and we came to find out the gene (BRACA 2) is extremely hereditary. He got it from his mom. My two sisters had a 75% chance to have it, and I had an 85% chance. God's hand in the whole thing: after very extensive bloodwork, all three of us broke the chain, and that cancer has no chance of being handed down to our own families. It is a God thing that all three of us avoided such drastic odds. God is good! We know that! We preach that, because He's never shown us any different!

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrwillis View Post
    Getting ready for our 10th annual father/son trip next Wednesday (which weather doesn't look too good, but it isn't always about the catchin' as much as the time together...which is treasured due to him being a 1-year cancer survivor), ]AND, a side note...take your kids fishing! I am a youth minister that uses the boat as an opportunity to take kids out of their "situations" and chat with them one on one...and let them see the awesomeness that God has allowed us to enjoy while we are here. I also take my own kids fishing...9 year old daughter and my 5 year old son. The other evening, we were out as a family (wife included), and my daughter said "I like having time like this as a family, and we are lucky". MEANT THE WORLD TO ME, and made all the frustration of tangled lines, baiting hooks, etc. disappear. And, I got my dad to fish for the first time 10 years ago, as he took me ONCE when I was 9 (I'm 38 now). Sure, he is now 67, and with the cancer stuff this past couple years, I wasn't sure if I would ever get the chance again. Well, God has blessed us, and we are on our 10th year this year. Yes, I wish I had the past 20 of doing this with him, but I am not complaining at all with the past decade I've had. TAKE YOUR KIDS FISHING...SO MANY MEMORIES, LAUGHING, STORIES, SNACKS, OPPORTUNITIES TO LOVE! I would rather go with someone than by myself![/I][/B]

mrwillis
    I love the fact you are trying to keep up a tradition and do something wonderful in your youth ministry.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Likes hunter, bistineaudon LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shipahoy41 View Post
    I love the fact you are trying to keep up a tradition and do something wonderful in your youth ministry.
    Shipahoy41...I also use outdoors all the time with my youth group kids. We've taken numerous atv trips to some DNR atv parks here in Illinois. I shoot bows with a couple of my boys in youth group, and actually put him on his first bow kill deer last year....he talks about it all the time. I have a church fishing trip (4th year this year) on May 7-10th. We shoot skeet (guys and girls) about twice a year. It is a TON of fun, and so non-threatening for the kids. I have a couple who are wanting to go mushroom hunting this weekend, and it's on their relatives ground. SURE...I'll go! I learned how to ginseng hunt with a youth group kid and his dad. The outdoors can open up not only the kids eyes to what God has given us, but also their hearts and lives to be more open to share conflict, struggles, or praises. I will ALWAYS use the outdoors as an avenue...with my church kids, and my own two!
    I helped a camp get a fishing camp started about 4 years ago...maybe 5. I turned to Crappie.com, and I swear the whole state of Georgia pitched in. Well, it is still running today! We know the importance. I read a sticker on the back of a truck window yesterday that said "Teach a kid to hunt, and you will never have to hunt for our kid". SO TRUE!

mrwillis

Hat55 is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrwillis View Post
    Hat55...it has been an extremely scary ordeal. He had a double masectomy, and all the muscle around the breasts were removed. He lost a lot of upper body strentgh (obviously), and we came to find out the gene (BRACA 2) is extremely hereditary. He got it from his mom. My two sisters had a 75% chance to have it, and I had an 85% chance. God's hand in the whole thing: after very extensive bloodwork, all three of us broke the chain, and that cancer has no chance of being handed down to our own families. It is a God thing that all three of us avoided such drastic odds. God is good! We know that! We preach that, because He's never shown us any different!
    AMEN, AMEN and AMEN
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

If you could find some of that foam that they use to wrap stuff up before packing and shipping. You could wrap a piece of this around the shaft and it should fit in there nicely. A little electrical tape on both ends to keep it from sliding up and down.The foam will compress around the shaft untill the clamp snugs it up. Hate to hear about your dad, and good luck on the fishing trip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast