Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Mold for fox tail jig

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mold for fox tail jig

Hello all, I am very new to jig tying and have just been playing around with some ideas. I want to make a plastic bodied jig with a fox tail and have been looking for a prototype mold to build. I was thinking of making it out of wood but was worried about the plastic sticking to it. Maybe put some oil or spray PAM on the wood before I poor it.(Anyone know if they have minnow flavored PAM?) I am sure there is a mold already out there but cant seem to find it. Any help would be appreciated.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Check out the thread Ship made. No mold needed.
    Here is the link http://www.crappie.com/crappie/showt...illy-Jelly-Jig
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Get some plaster of paris and make a plaster mold. Let it dry/cure thoroughly and then spray it with several coats of clear lacquer. Find a plastic form....a good one to use is the deep half of a clam pack of some sort. Use some super glue to glue your plastics down on the bottom inside of the form and then fill it with the plaster of paris when its mixed and let it set a couple days. Then trim the plastic form off and remove the plastic baits and let the mold dry completely for a few days and treat with the spray.

Post Thanks / Like

you can alsao use mod podge to seal the mold, however jacobsbaits makes a mold

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the ideas. I looked at jacobsbaits and that is pretty much what I was looking for. I will try it with wood and sealing it with mod podge or plaster( both of which I had to google to find out what they were). I will try and post pictures of the "Wooden Mod Podge Mold" when and if I get it made. Thanks again and any other ideas will be greatly appreciated.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Puck777 View Post
    Hello all, I am very new to jig tying and have just been playing around with some ideas. I want to make a plastic bodied jig with a fox tail and have been looking for a prototype mold to build. I was thinking of making it out of wood but was worried about the plastic sticking to it. Maybe put some oil or spray PAM on the wood before I poor it.(Anyone know if they have minnow flavored PAM?) I am sure there is a mold already out there but cant seem to find it. Any help would be appreciated.
    Stumphunter put you on a good track. I just take a jelly body and thread maraboy or fox tail through it. You do not want to pour hot plastic on wood. You are asking for trouble and injury. There is a stickie "Making the jelly jig. I posted. Thanks Stumphunter for that link.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.