Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie, Morels, and Turkey

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie, Morels, and Turkey

Took my mom crappie fishing this weekend on Table Rock on the King's River arm. Fished from 9:00 to about 15:30 and ended up with 4 keeps. One was 15.5". Headed back to my farm (around Richland) where I had left my truck. Christina and my mom went on home and mu cousin and I went to LOZ where we each ended up about 3 shy of a limit in one shallow cove. We were on the water at about 18:30 and off by 21:00.
    I took Monday and half a day off on tuesday to turkey hunt. Monday, I had one of those probably should have taken the shot, probably could have got him, but didn't seem to be the ethical shot kind of situations so I didn't take the shot. He was moving to a clearer area where he was about to become dinner, passed behind a 3' tall cedar tree and I never saw or heard from him again. Tuesday, I set up where they had roosted the day before, of course they had roosted on the other side of a power line cut this time. I was 30yds in and called a tom in as far as the cut. He worked back and forth for about 20 min then I never heard from him again. I got skunked on the turkey hunting, but I ended up with a handfull of nice morels and got in many miles of hiking on some steep hills in full turkey hunting battle rattle. I'll get him next weekend. Sad part is, I have trail cam pics of over 35 turkeys in a flock with more than 8 toms visible from a month ago. You'd think all I'd have to do is swing a dead cat to get one.

All in all, good weekend. got to spend some quality time with my mom and got to enjoy my land.
    Likes south point LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

You did have a good weekend....and shared time with your family. If you got your tom in the first 15 minutes, you would have missed out on all that great exercise!!

Post Thanks / Like

Great report, it's always amazing how dumb a turkey can be ,,,,,,,,,, unless it's turkey season,,,,,,, then they act like they have a college degree in hunter evasion!!!!! Good luck, you'll gettem !
    FISH ON......... inspired by river monsters around the globe.......

Post Thanks / Like

My cousin just contacted me and it looks like I'm going to get to go snaggin' tomorrow night. I've never been and have always wanted to try it. I'm pretty excited. I hear it's a lot of work, but they have been bringing in some really nice ones. My goal for the weekend is a nice spoony, a turkey, some mushrooms and a mess of crappie this weekend. I could just about die a happy man if I land that quad-fecta. It's gonna be a busy weekend, but the kind of busy I love.
    Likes oldjack25, south point LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good time coming this weekend. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Update**
    - The snagging trip didn't happen, the guy that was geared up for it had to bail so my cousin and I went crappie fishing instead. Ended up down near Buck's Dock around the corner from McCubbin's. Did ok.
    - Didn't get a turkey either day.
    - Found about a gallon bucket and a half of nice big morels.
    - Went fishing by myself Saturday. I'd never put in at Linn Creek before (probably won't do it again until the water comes up) and I've never fished that area. I idled out from the ramp for what seemed like forever with my motor trimmed way up because the water was only about 2' deep. Then fished a few coves; hit shallow water, deep water, you name it with no luck. Went into a big cove (I forget the name) with some amazing homes and a restaurant called Fishing Company or something like that. I ended up catching 1 keeper in about 4 hours. Then the sun started going down and caught 9 more between 10.5" and 13.5" in the next hour. I don't think I threw back more than 3 during that hour.

*Result* - Having my mom and sister over for crappie and morels tonight.
    Likes oldjack25 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like a great weekend