Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: spider rig advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default spider rig advice

Hi everone iam a new member , with two young ladies , that like to go fishing...iam trading in the old littel flatbottom on a g3 1966 . Hopefully we have enought room then. Ive watch hours and hours of video on spider rigging on you tube. This is what iam thinking, iam going to put 3 seats up front and put me and me girls up there .. the law allow 2 rods apiece in Neb.. Guess were going to do the 6 rod thing. Since iam learing I bought 6 pinticle 14 footers to learn with . I have a year old hummingbird 798 on my I pilot. Iam thinking ill take the boat to my father in laws sand pit ans do a lot of praticing before I take the giels on the lake. Oh goodness I hope iam not taking on to much one girls 11 and ones 5. Thinking iam gonna need some chill pills when that day comes. Any advice would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Have FUN,,,,,,,,,, that's all I got
    Bulletman aka Tommy

Post Thanks / Like

I would buy three double holders from Drift Master and install the holders within arms reach of each seat........and just go out and fish. I am know pro but it is easy enough. Three important things are speed color depth and location. I start deep and work my way up. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Sound like great advice .fun .and rod holders start deep and work up.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure I'd start the 5yo with a 14ft pole, and even the 11yo will need to practice some with it.

You'll likely need to get a EGO Reach landing net, unless your Crappie aren't going to be all that big. Trying to get a Crappie landed between six 14' poles will be much easier with one. And you'll need to teach the girls not to reel the fish up (after setting the hook) until those 14' rods are well up in the air. You'll want to still have about 10' of line out, if you plan on swinging those fish to you/in the boat ... especially if you don't have a long handled net.

Practice at home, in the boat, and let the girls get a feel for the setup and rod length, and removing the rods from the holders & setting the hook at the same time. Tie some small toys or stuffed animals to the lines, something that's less than 1lb & soft ... then practice setting the hook while removing the rod, reeling the "fish" up, netting the "fish" or swinging it to the boat (in between the other rods).

... cp
    Likes CrappieFlopper LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Timmyinneb - some things (outside of most videos) I learned the hard way:

1. You should have all your rigs pre-tied and ready to go before you head out to the fishing waters. I have everything from 1/4 oz egg sinkers up to 1 oz. Depends on depth and wind/current.
    2. Keep your net readily available because everything happens in a flash and you don't want to have to be looking around the boat for it. This will also assist with less tangles.
    3. If you have two or more lines get tangled, take the rig off the quick connect or cut them and use the pretied rigs to get back into action. You can always untangle the rigs later.
    4. If it's windy at your location, I would suggest a drift sock to help you with control. If there are a lot of stumps, use a logging chain instead of the drift sock.
    5. You should be moving your boat enough to keep your lines at a 15 degree angle. Any more or less you are either getting them tangled or are moving too fast.
    6. If your tips aren't colored, you might want to paint or use colored electrical tape so you can see them better.
    7. Be prepared for the onslaught of sandbass. If you run into a school of them, it is likely you will have two or more baits get bit. Be patient and don't panic!
    8. As your kids are young, be prepared for them to get bored until you get on the fish. As it takes a lot of concentration on all those poles, realize mistakes are going to happen. Have a good laugh about it and remember why you are there. The experience!

There's a lot more I could share, but these are just a few that I think we forget easily. Enjoy the trips and keep us posted on your catch. If you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

OK Crappie Slayer
    Likes Danny2072 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

first before anything, get those girls and make em wear some good life jackets. don't take much to dump someone off the front of a boat...
    DEAD AS FRIED CHICKEN

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the longest pinnacle rod was 12ft. where did you find 14s?

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Post Thanks / Like

I think there 14. I will have to check , mabey 12. Got there from grizzly jig. I think a guy can usually see the prop just barley. If they are 12 I hope they work ok. The sand pits supper clear but the lake usually slighlty gree. Got to get some comfortable life jackts . A long net. And get the girls in the boat lifting some light weight toys into the net. I hope this works out.and the girls enjoy it. Thinking of buying a bimini cover for the front not complety over head but some. It might look kinda funny but iam getting old enough that I dont worry a whole lot about what some people think. Just wana get them girls started on a good summer hobbie and spend lots of time with them.

Post Thanks / Like

After last weekend catching around 70 myself, I got good at swinging crappie toward me and catching them in mid air, you may want to toss ball with the kids first so you know they are up for the challenge, I think You will need to take plenty of deep breaths with kids that age, and possably a valium or two would make your day more pleasant. I am planning on taking my 11 year old Grandson out and spider rigging with him too, he was very excited last year when we caught 50 together. Good luck and let Us know how it goes, I am sure You will be building memories for them.
    Ok Crappie Slayer makes a good point about having your crappie rigs pre tied, what I did was by a Pool Noodle, cut it into 12" pieces, then pre tied my rigs with different weights and jigs, set the hook in the noodle then wrap it around to set the last hook in the noodle, now use a sharpy marker and mark what weight the rig has on it, I keep them in a 5 gallon bucket so when I go spider fishing I just grab the bucket! It was a long cold Winter in Ohio I pre tied plenty of rigs, and actually my grandson figured I tied 96 knots one evening, yeah I had cabin fever bad, lol
    Last edited by Tom 513; 04-23-2014 at 06:24 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast