Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Feeding The Hungry

Post Thanks / Like

Default Feeding The Hungry

I was crappie fishing a place called Binders Lake yesterday. Caught 6 keepers ranging from 10 to 12 inches, tossed back about 30 small crappie around hand sized. Went to leave and figured I would give it a couple more casts off a low water bridge on the way out (because you know, it's ALWAYS one more cast). There was a family containing a father,mother and young son fishing off to the side. I asked them if they cleaned them all out? The father told me that they had been there for an hour and hadn't caught anything. I told him where I was catching them, what I was catching them on and how many I tossed back. His eyes bugged out and said he would have kept anything I tossed back, even the perch. He went on to tell me he hadn't worked for over 3 weeks and that he refused to go on food stamps if he could hunt it or fish it,but it obviously wasn't working out to well in his favor. I had to offer the crappie I had 3 times before he finally took them, after convincing him it wasn't so much charity as I didn't feel like cleaning a hand full of crappie. The small sons eyes lit up and he said " we eatin fish tonight daddy?" Dad says "hell yeah!" Mother popped off and said "better than ramen noodles". Gave me a bit of a chuckle and sympathy both.
    Likes SilverBack4Jack, bdunn3 LIKED above post

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

You did good.
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You didn't bump into them by accident, you were sent!
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!
    Likes SilverBack4Jack, bdunn3 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Hit the nail on the head Gene, very cool.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Me three Gene. I believe in everything for a reason. Good job on hookin the folks up with dinner.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all. Fishing has been good to me this year, even without a boat. Had been using a friends boat, but he kind of ripped the bottom out of it awhile back. So bank fishing it has been nearly everyday,even if I don't believe they are biting. Only got skunked once not catching a single crappie. Felt good to finally give them a meal, but as I look back on it, I probably should have showed them how I catch them lol. (You know how the old saying goes)<wink>