Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: blunt nose minnows

Post Thanks / Like

Default blunt nose minnows

has anyone used them for bait? i have never tried them myself. i had a buddy bring me a bunch from a creek he was at today. i have them in the bait tank ready to catch monster crappie next time out.

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

They and the creek chub,,will catch every fish you throw them at..use em. I used to seine a lot of my minnows and been wanting to go back to it and will as soon as I let them spawn out in the creek near my house. the creek I get them from is all spring fed and clear and cold. They will stay alive longer and are more active on the hook than your store bought.

Post Thanks / Like

well i did cevans! i just got back and cleaned fish. took them to one of my secret spring bank spots for a short trial run. i took 4 of them and caught 4 fish in short order. 1 bass about 15" a crappie about 13" and two other crappie at 12". i also caught 6 more crappie and a cat with a beetle spin. all this just before dark in about 20min! i lost 3 fish on the minnows. probably because the are so big, i assume smaller crappie didnt have them in far enough. ill have to look and see about when they spawn so i can get some after that. should be able to keep at least a hundred in my tank. i predict some bigger crappie in my near future!
    Likes gone_fishing LIKED above post

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Many many years ago (early 70's),,,me and friend,,would seine minnows for a bait shop that paid us top money for chubs, blunt nose, and soft craws. Bigger chubs were in high demand by the bass fishermen. I don't know of many if any, selling them any more..but its a super lively minnow. I am seining some to use on the river especially for saugers in a couple of weeks. We hit a lot of creeks around Cat. area,,and Mansfield, Rocky Fork area, and lots that dumped into Racoon below dam area..(hint, hint) I grew up in that area and cut my teeth on all those rivers and 2 lakes. Had a uncle that built a couple of cabins at Mansfield and as a kid lived on that river in the summers.
    Last edited by cevans; 04-22-2014 at 09:33 PM.