Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sold on spider rigging

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sold on spider rigging

Well after a long cold winter here in Ohio I finally got to try out my new spider rigging stuff, I bought a Cumberland crappie 360 4 pole t bar, and 4- 14ft Southern Crappie poles, rigged them with double minnows 3/8oz egg sinkers Capps and Colman style. Here in Ohio there is a 2 pole rule which almost kept me from spending the money on the equipment, but after Sat I couldnt imagine being able to keep up with more than 2 poles, I caught around 70 Crappie although I only had 10 keepers (9"limit) it was none stop for pre spawn Crappie, all were caught 12"to16ft in 20 to 27ft of water, twice I caught doubles too. It seems like this is the best way to fish for pre spawn and post spawn Crappie, actually I love it and may never jig again! lol

Post Thanks / Like

I feel the same way man. I spider rig reelfoot lake in tn and couldn't imagine anything else. I love feeling the thump while jigging, but the window is so small for jigging the crappie off the cypress trees I'd just rather spider rig anymore. It's much more consistent. We don't have a pole limit here, but I only spider rig with 6 poles. I couldn't imagine any more than that by myself.

Post Thanks / Like

If you like that, Try pullin Cranks,its even more fun

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA
    Likes NickD LIKED above post

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the day spider rigging. Sounds like you are hooked now
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    what kind and length of rods do you use for pulling cranks?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I can see that coming down the road, actually from what I hear thats the prefered way to fish for Summer Saugeye around here. In Ohio they have crossed Walleyes with Sauger to create the Saugeye and stock them in our lakes. Also I talked to a friend who is a catfisherman and spider rigging is there prefered way to catch Blues and Channel cats.

Post Thanks / Like

Where were you? My daughter and I went to Cowan and got 32 keepers to 11" pulling cranks. I let her reel them in. All the fish went back at the end of the day though. I'd rather troll in windy conditions and spider rig ( my favorite technique) in calm. Also, in ohio, we can use 3 hooks per rod !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brn2fsh View Post
    Where were you? My daughter and I went to Cowan and got 32 keepers to 11" pulling cranks. I let her reel them in. All the fish went back at the end of the day though. I'd rather troll in windy conditions and spider rig ( my favorite technique) in calm. Also, in ohio, we can use 3 hooks per rod !
    I was fishing Acton, its a little closer then Cowan, I didnt know about the 3 hook limit in Ohio, I may have to re rig now, although I did catch 2 doubles last weekend, I will be back out Sunday, I think the spawn will be starting with the warm weather we have had this week. When You troll for crappie what are u pulling? Bandits? it seems if the wind is 10mph or more spider rigging could be tuff

Post Thanks / Like

#5 and 6 fire tiger flickershads.you can usually find an area where you can hide from the wind if you really want to spider rig. I try for 1.2 gps speed

NickD is offline Slabmaster II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

They tend to be bigger fish, too
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Official Off Shore Tackle Youtube channel:http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS3E...-nRh4HnQw/feed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast