Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Minnow Trap

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minnow Trap

I am having trouble finding minnows at the local gas stations this time of the year, so I went and bought one of the minnow cages off of Bass Pro Shop. In says that you need to put bait in the middle of the cage to attract the minnows. Does anybody know what type of bait you should use? Has anybody used one of these cages before and had some success? Thank you and I really appreciate all the help this website provides for younger crappie fisherman.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used crackers and bread it worked for me

Post Thanks / Like

My response exactly, crackers and bread. Haven't used one in 15 years, but if there's shad in the water, they will come. Good luck!

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Take a small gaterade or water bottle and poke some holes in it. Put the bread, crackers or dog food in the bottle and place inside the trap.

Post Thanks / Like

Use them frequently years ago in the Ozark streams, if it's got single opening we always put opening downstream. Never tried in still water. Always used plastic peanut butter jar. Hole in each side with string going thru it so it's tied in center of trap. Easier to get fingers and bread/crackers inside peanut butter jar. Watch out for turtles, they can tear the hell outta that thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Put some dog food in a chunk of panty hose and tie it closed. Bait last a long time like that and creeks are best
    will fish for food

Post Thanks / Like

my dad used bread in a pair of stockings and tied it in middle and then when we went to get them he would move it around the creek so to get in a new bunch take them home and put in the stock tank till fri night and then head to the lake this was back in 1960 or 61