Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patoka and bluegill

Post Thanks / Like

Default Patoka and bluegill

How is Patoka for spring gills? Never tried it and just curious. This week is looking fantastic for fishing. We found some decent crappie at our favorite Illinois lake yesterday. Water temps went from 58 to 65 during the day. The males were starting to move and get their tux's on by the end of the day. Stopped by Dogwood on the way home to get a report. Found the cleaning station open and a few people cleaning some crappie they took on jigs. Glad the stations are open!

Post Thanks / Like

Patoka can be great if you hit it at the right time, and can find them. Over the years, I have had excellent Bluegill and Redear success from Patoka ranging from Mid April to late June. I catch them mostly on beemoth and crickets. Like everywhere, you have to sort through the small ones to find the big ones. However, Patoka does hold some dandy sized panfish. When they are on, it's a blast!

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

buy lots of crickets or other bait u use. Hint at where to find the best beds and easiest to see...not around timber in gin clear water where the sun shines the most and you don't mind bobbing around like a cork. You can fill the boat if you don't mind culling.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember going to Patoka in 89' or 90' and we hit it just right. The bluegills and redear were nesting and we caught about 50 10-11inch class fish, all big dark males too. That's the Patoka of yesterday though, I've heard bad things about it now days. It was truly a first class pan fishery, such a shame.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redearhoosier View Post
    I remember going to Patoka in 89' or 90' and we hit it just right. The bluegills and redear were nesting and we caught about 50 10-11inch class fish, all big dark males too. That's the Patoka of yesterday though, I've heard bad things about it now days. It was truly a first class pan fishery, such a shame.
    Same here. I wonder,,,what happened and caused it to change? You could fill a cooler then and catch great sized gills?

Post Thanks / Like

cevans...go back and research the lake surveys in the mid 90's. Somewhere in the 1995- 1996 time frame the shad population exploded down there. That's when the 9-11 inch fish you were catching suddenly became 7 inch fish.

HHD
    GnawMart Tenderloin Sandwich Prostaff, Gnawbone Indiana

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Hog Daddy View Post
    cevans...go back and research the lake surveys in the mid 90's. Somewhere in the 1995- 1996 time frame the shad population exploded down there. That's when the 9-11 inch fish you were catching suddenly became 7 inch fish.

HHD
    So true, and now that I think of it,,so has those pesky little yellow bass.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
    How is Patoka for spring gills? Never tried it and just curious. This week is looking fantastic for fishing. We found some decent crappie at our favorite Illinois lake yesterday. Water temps went from 58 to 65 during the day. The males were starting to move and get their tux's on by the end of the day. Stopped by Dogwood on the way home to get a report. Found the cleaning station open and a few people cleaning some crappie they took on jigs. Glad the stations are open!
    Ya'all lost me at get their tux's on? My fish are always naked.

Post Thanks / Like

Despite the wind I just had to get on the lake. Caught around 20 with the biggest being 11 inches. There were some tux's on some little males.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Valparaiso_Girl View Post
    Ya'all lost me at get their tux's on? My fish are always naked.
    that's what they call it when they are in the mood for love and have they're best color on.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast