Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fishing the spawn. Help!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing the spawn. Help!

Dear experienced, successful crappie guys,
    I would appreciate tips on catching crappie during the spawn. Personally, if I were having sex and a small jig or minnow came down and hit me on the head, I probably would not pay it much attention. An apple pie might be a different matter.
    I started crappie fishing a couple of years ago coming from the trout and salmon world. I read and hear everywhere that "Anyone can catch a lot of crappie during the spawn", "Minnows, jigs it does' matter", etc. Although I catch a few, I can't compete with those of you who bring buckets full of fish to the Clinton cleaning station. Embarrassing! Often after several hours of failure, I switch to walleye and wipers so that when I get home I have something to eat and don't have to listen to my wife tell me "I hope you are enjoying dinner, with the expense of your boat gas, and tackle these filets cost about $250/lb." She obviously does not understand the concept of a "Quality outdoor experience" or that I target those small fish with lunker potential.
    During the spawn, I usually use small jigs about 2 feet under a float. I cast towards shore and slowly retrieve. At Clinton I have gone around the marina cove and the cove to the east of there numerous times.
    How do you decide what part of the shore to target if there is no cover?
    Minnows or plastic jigs? Color? Size?
    Is there a trick like wiggling your left ear or sticking your tongue out towards the left?
    Any and all advice is appreciated!
    Thanks,
    A crappie impaired fisherman
    I fish; therefore I am.
    Likes dkv LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Timeing

Quote Originally Posted by Spine guy View Post
    Dear experienced, successful crappie guys,
    I would appreciate tips on catching crappie during the spawn. Personally, if I were having sex and a small jig or minnow came down and hit me on the head, I probably would not pay it much attention. An apple pie might be a different matter.
    I started crappie fishing a couple of years ago coming from the trout and salmon world. I read and hear everywhere that "Anyone can catch a lot of crappie during the spawn", "Minnows, jigs it does' matter", etc. Although I catch a few, I can't compete with those of you who bring buckets full of fish to the Clinton cleaning station. Embarrassing! Often after several hours of failure, I switch to walleye and wipers so that when I get home I have something to eat and don't have to listen to my wife tell me "I hope you are enjoying dinner, with the expense of your boat gas, and tackle these filets cost about $250/lb." She obviously does not understand the concept of a "Quality outdoor experience" or that I target those small fish with lunker potential.
    During the spawn, I usually use small jigs about 2 feet under a float. I cast towards shore and slowly retrieve. At Clinton I have gone around the marina cove and the cove to the east of there numerous times.
    How do you decide what part of the shore to target if there is no cover?
    Minnows or plastic jigs? Color? Size?
    Is there a trick like wiggling your left ear or sticking your tongue out towards the left?
    Any and all advice is appreciated!
    Thanks,
    A crappie impaired fisherman
    It is all about being there on the right day. Keep doing the same things that you are doing in the coves that you mentioned . There have been a ton of crappie taken out of that cove in the last 20 or so years. It is hit hard though so you need to be there when they come in because they will get thinned out pretty quick.

Post Thanks / Like

try weds thurs and fri with and without bobber reel real slow then slow down you'll get em

Post Thanks / Like

Go,go go go and go some more! But if ya can catch walleye for dinner after being skunked by crappie, who cares! Eat the eyes! Jmo!