Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Someone wants to experiment....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Someone wants to experiment....

Ok,
    What would happen if I take me huge lowrance transducer for the HDS touch, mount it to a pole vertically, put the HDS in downscan mode and slowly rotate the pole left and right?
    I know someone has tried it.
    G3PO

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The DI fan beam will rotate on the axis of the pole....

As target echos fall into the beam (as it is rotated)...that echo data will enter the DI image at the far right of the display and continue left into the display history...

No echo target location will be known except for....the target was in the fan beam at the orientation that the xducer was positioned at the instant that echo data entered the DI image display right edge...

Now if you mount that xducer at an angle facing away...such that the DI fan beam provides a "sweep" of the area it is "pointing" at...you will, in effect create the same DI images Vic n gets with his HB 345 DI...

I say try it...and post pix...this could be very interesting...

Rickie
    Last edited by rnvinc; 04-17-2014 at 10:30 PM.
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Rickie,
    Are you suggesting a different mounti g angle to the pole or simply using the pole at a 45 degree angle in the water?

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brettw View Post
    Rickie,
    Are you suggesting a different mounti g angle to the pole or simply using the pole at a 45 degree angle in the water?
    Vic gets his amazing "unconventional" DI pics from mounting the xducer at an angle...so the the fan beam is "sweeping" in front of him...(similar to what SpotLightScan is accomplishing but Vic's is only 1 DI fan beam instead of 2 fan beams like SpotLightScan)..

I'm sure Vic will check in soon and offer his technique here ...

The interesting part of this type experiment is that the fan beam can be "aimed" ...therefore giving the user a general understanding of where the echo targets are located in relation to the boat...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Ok,
    What would happen if I take me huge lowrance transducer for the HDS touch, mount it to a pole vertically, put the HDS in downscan mode and slowly rotate the pole left and right?
    I know someone has tried it.
    I used several kinds of transducer mounting and moving, and one of them was what you offer: I attached the transducer vertically to short vertical pole and pointed it to each side just rotating it around vertical axis – it worked pretty good and showed the fish up to 100 feet.
    The thickness of the beam is about 1-3 degree, and there is no much help rotating it right under the boat close to the water surface. I used all length of the cable and lowered the transducer till the bottom just 1 foot above it, and could see all fish 1-2ft off the bottom around using just one beam of DI unit. That huge lowrance transducer for the HDS touch will give more opportunity to see and locate the fish using three windows on the screen even without rotating a transducer:

Each of those 6 fishes can be seen in certain window on the sonar split screen:

Two years ago I lowered my DI transducer till the bottom and pointed it towards the fishermen, and this is what I saw 30ft away:

Later I caught some of those fish that is on the screens above:

Last edited by Vik3; 04-20-2014 at 06:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Vic
    So your best suggestion is to go 3 screens, and lower to various depths.
    Again, talking transducer on the pole mounted vertically,
    Was it necessary to pan back and forth ?

Post Thanks / Like

Also , one more idea.
    What about ducer on a pole, down say, 2ft. Straight down, scanning near the surface.
    Now I begin to tilt the pole slowly back under the boat so you are scanning a brush pile top to bottom?
    Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Brettw,i made a bracket on my tm that i mounted my transducer on and could make the ducer go from horizonal to vertical by a leaver with my foot and then could turn cable tm with other foot,i vidieo it but wife was never able to send on here.i still have it but just got mi5 tm so now will have to re do it on a pole that i made for my 798,got much of the idea from vik3
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Post Thanks / Like

Now I begin to tilt the pole slowly back under the boat so you are scanning a brush pile top to bottom?
    Thoughts?
    Tilting the pole slowly back under the boat is a good idea: it will show everything what is in front of you in water column, and it will show bottom structure in front/below you in curved form though, but quite readable. I like this mode the most, but tilting the pole you will be limited in angle of tilting – if to tilt or better to rotate just a transducer you will be able to point it in front-down-back from +90 till -90 or for 180 degree. Then you will get pictures like I got on Humm 570 DI and Humm 385 DI units, which will show you what is directly under you and several depths ahead and behind.
    These are pictures that I got three weeks ago without using a rotating mechanism, just slowly pulling the transducer cable up and down with hand, the SI transducer was suspended on white cable (rope):

Last edited by Vik3; 04-21-2014 at 12:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys.
    Time to try it for myself.