Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do you need more than 4lb test?

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Why do you need more than 4lb test?

4lb test was strong enough to land this 22 1/2" Hybrid...Don't know what it weighed but I don't think I will ever catch a crappie as heavy or as strong...Also caught a few crappie to go along with him & that is what made my day...Page 2, as Paul Harvey says, was not good..I blew my 200 EFI Mercury..Would you young folks put a few more dollars in the Social Security fund???lol....I think I might need it...At least I have a new cap...Anchorpuller didn't like my old one...

USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Nice catch Don. That's pretty impressive to catch on 4 lb line. I never go below 6 lb.

Post Thanks / Like

Don, man - you make me plum ashamed of the plow-lines I fish with:D
    Nice one. What is this about the other cap? Hate to miss out on anything
    like that :p
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

anchorpuller is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow Don. That is indeed a nice fish...on 4lb test? I don't think I would have had the finesse to get it in without breaking my line....but I'm learning!

I hate to hear about the motor. That's a real downer. I hope you can figure something out to salvage it and make it good as new without breaking the bank.

Seriously.. I know it ain't much, but if you ever find yourself in my neck of the woods, you are more than welcome to use mine. It ain't pretty, but it will get you on the lake.

Now...about this cap thing! :rolleyes: You are going to just make me HAVE to have a talk with Doris, ya know!

Oh.. and the new cap is real nice but not as nice as the '39. :p
    Last edited by anchorpuller; 11-14-2006 at 08:23 PM. Reason: had to say something about the new cap!
    "Be Ye Fishers of Men" You catch them- He will clean them

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Asking why any one needs more than 4 lb liine is similar to why would anyone need a 200hp motor. Just preference.

Nice fish. Sorry about the motor.

Dayton

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger690
    Asking why any one needs more than 4 lb liine is similar to why would anyone need a 200hp motor. Just preference.

Nice fish. Sorry about the motor.

Dayton
    You got me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Hogg Tyed Guest

I caught an 18 rainbow on a 4 foot rod with 2 pound test.. That summer caught a 22 inch catfish with a 3 ft rod same reel and 2 lb test line. It took what felt like 10 minutes to get the cat to the canoe. The guy I was fishing with stopped making fun of my ultra light gear when he saw how much fun it is..... I love fishing ultra light gear...

Post Thanks / Like

Nice pic Don. I wouldn't smile either with a blown motor. Lord knows I didn't smile last year when I saw all that metal jammed up into the heads of my old boat. Cheer up, I know you have the contacts to get her back on the water in no time flat. FATBOY

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Don:

Nice Hybrid - they sure do give you a good fight on light tackle don't they. Sorry about the motor man, especially after all the hard work you've put into that boat. Let me know if you're interested in a Suzuki 4-stroke - could probably get you a good deal on one - sure do like mine.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

I love ultralite gear myself, and over the years I've landed all kinds of fish with 4lb test. I don't like using anything else on ultralite gear. I think I've even landed a muskie or two with it. I don't remember a specific muskie though. I know for sure that I've battled many to the side of the boat where they realized they were hooked or had a crappie in thier mouths that was hooked and headed for the hills with evereything it could take with it. You guys who fish in the south where there arn't muskies sure miss some excitement when muskies decide your slab is lunch. I know I've landed several 6-7 lb walleyes and carp up to 30lbs while crappie fishing. I've landed nearly everything of size I've ever caught on 6lb though, including 30-40 lb carp, trout over 10, salmon over 20, nearly every muskie I've caught including a couple over 50 inches, and a 48 inch female I know seriously outweighed both my 50 inchers. 2lb is just to fragile in my book. The only time I use anything over 6lb is when I fish salmon, and never more than 10lb and that feels like I'm draggin rope to me. They key is avoid structure, leran to love your drag, and be patient and you can land anything on light line.

That stinks about the motor. Will you try to fix it yourself?
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 11-15-2006 at 01:57 AM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast