Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sat/Sun on Table Rock

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sat/Sun on Table Rock

Had a great weekend with the old man. My dad flew up and met me in Shell Knob for what would hopefully be 4 fun filled days of crappie slaying! Well, with the weather we got 2 amazing days out of the trip and had a great time. We fished the Kings river up past Viola both days and fish were right up on the banks, limited out both days. We used the tried and true bobber and a minnow rig, with the minnow about 18 inches under the bobber. The fish were about half way backs in the coves and you if you could find a small cut with blown in debris in it you would be able to catch 5-10 nice fish it seemed.

Day 1 we only caught one real big fish at 14.5 inches. It was a male black crappie in fine spawning colors. Day 2 we caught a few nice females with the biggest being 15 1/4 inches weighing right at 2 lbs and then a big male at 14.5 inches weighing 1lb 11 oz. The first day we only caught 2 shorts and the 2nd day we caught 5. All the fish were just nice 11-13inch slabs and we had only a couple that were in the 10-11 inch range. Water temps on Sat were 60-61, Sunday saw as high as 63.7. We never ran way up the river either, we stayed about 1-2 bends from Viola.

Funny story from the 1st day... we went into a cove and there was another boat in there throwing jigs at the bank. As we passed each other the guy up front says "You're a little young to be old man fishin aren't ya?". I said well, hard to change from what's working! We had 26 in the live well at that point and he said they had caught 6. I'll take "old man fishin" any day!

Monday the front came through and it was colder than hell so we decided to fry up some crappie for dinner. Tuesday I stopped by Diamond Missouri and visited my grandpa and brought him a nice bag of fish on my way back home to KS.

First 3 pics are from Day 1(Sat), rest are from Day 2(Sun).

Don't laugh at my hat from day 1 too bad. That baby keeps my ears/neck from getting cooked!

Name:  Day 1.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  115.8 KBName:  Day 1-male.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  123.4 KBName:  day1 stringer.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  62.9 KBName:  day 2 male.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  57.0 KBName:  day 2 female.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  93.9 KBName:  day 2 big.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  109.5 KBName:  day 2 slabs.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  119.2 KBName:  day 2 stringer.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  61.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Nice catch and glad you and your dad a good time !!!
    May all your live wells be full.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats, those are some nice Tablerock slabs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BiglerM View Post
    Had a great weekend with the old man. My dad flew up and met me in Shell Knob for what would hopefully be 4 fun filled days of crappie slaying! Well, with the weather we got 2 amazing days out of the trip and had a great time. We fished the Kings river up past Viola both days and fish were right up on the banks, limited out both days. We used the tried and true bobber and a minnow rig, with the minnow about 18 inches under the bobber. The fish were about half way backs in the coves and you if you could find a small cut with blown in debris in it you would be able to catch 5-10 nice fish it seemed.

Day 1 we only caught one real big fish at 14.5 inches. It was a male black crappie in fine spawning colors. Day 2 we caught a few nice females with the biggest being 15 1/4 inches weighing right at 2 lbs and then a big male at 14.5 inches weighing 1lb 11 oz. The first day we only caught 2 shorts and the 2nd day we caught 5. All the fish were just nice 11-13inch slabs and we had only a couple that were in the 10-11 inch range. Water temps on Sat were 60-61, Sunday saw as high as 63.7. We never ran way up the river either, we stayed about 1-2 bends from Viola.

Funny story from the 1st day... we went into a cove and there was another boat in there throwing jigs at the bank. As we passed each other the guy up front says "You're a little young to be old man fishin aren't ya?". I said well, hard to change from what's working! We had 26 in the live well at that point and he said they had caught 6. I'll take "old man fishin" any day!

Monday the front came through and it was colder than hell so we decided to fry up some crappie for dinner. Tuesday I stopped by Diamond Missouri and visited my grandpa and brought him a nice bag of fish on my way back home to KS.

First 3 pics are from Day 1(Sat), rest are from Day 2(Sun).

Don't laugh at my hat from day 1 too bad. That baby keeps my ears/neck from getting cooked!

Name:  Day 1.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  115.8 KBName:  Day 1-male.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  123.4 KBName:  day1 stringer.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  62.9 KBName:  day 2 male.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  57.0 KBName:  day 2 female.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  93.9 KBName:  day 2 big.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  109.5 KBName:  day 2 slabs.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  119.2 KBName:  day 2 stringer.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  61.2 KB
    Nice looking fish,glad you & your dad had a good time and got to boat some fish congrats!!!!!!!!! The wife and I will be heading down there from May1-May4 hope we can get on some nice fish like that. I never been to Table Rock before so don't quite now were to start but any time I can be on the water and out of this cold Iowa weather is better than nothing even if we don't catch anything.

Post Thanks / Like

I love the old man fishing! Glad you guys had a good trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappie chaser 1 View Post
    Nice looking fish,glad you & your dad had a good time and got to boat some fish congrats!!!!!!!!! The wife and I will be heading down there from May1-May4 hope we can get on some nice fish like that. I never been to Table Rock before so don't quite now were to start but any time I can be on the water and out of this cold Iowa weather is better than nothing even if we don't catch anything.
    Might be a little late for crappie being on the banks. With the weather forecast they will be done most likely by the end of next weekend I would bet.. at least in the creek arms. You might be able to find some on the main lake since it will be cooler water still. Chances are you will see bass on beds everywhere. Last year I went down the last weekend of April and the crappie were done and bass were getting on beds.

Post Thanks / Like

nice fishes like both hats rock chaulk
    Likes jigin4abigun LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to complement you on your hat, I think it shows your mature enough to take care of your skin and protect it.......I have one similar to it. Great post and pics!

Post Thanks / Like

Great report, nice pics

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job. Great pictures.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast