Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working the Kansas walleye spawn video

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Working the Kansas walleye spawn video

KDWPT fisheries management biologists work the Percid spawn each year to produce fertilized walleye, sauger, and saugeye eggs for the hatchery system. These eggs are hatched and grown to larger sizes for stocking across the state.

I took a GoPro camera to work at Milford reservoir during the first week of April this year. The video below shows the collection of walleye broodfish that were used to produce all of this year's production of saugeye and also some walleye to supplement walleye egg totals collected at Hillsdale and Cedar Bluff. Extremely clear water conditions at Milford this spring allowed for some seldom seen views of Kansas walleye.

Enjoy!

Craig

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent video Craig.....that's first class and you are quite talented in taking and editing this walleye video.....I was almost playing an air guitar to the beginning rock music ( I liked the later tunes better...easier on these old ears!) I'm really looking forward to " part two"!!
    FAITH, FAMILY, FRIENDS & FISHING...... hopefully in that order but honestly, not always!

Post Thanks / Like

great video great fishes seen em collectin at hd looks like a lot more fun when the wind is bout 30 mph?? thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Question about Milford

I work with a guy that says when Cabelas held the Walleye Tournament at Milford they stocked big fish into the lake to help the tourney. Any truth to that?

Post Thanks / Like

No.............

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zummy View Post
    Question about Milford

I work with a guy that says when Cabelas held the Walleye Tournament at Milford they stocked big fish into the lake to help the tourney. Any truth to that?
    No.

The best place to grow BIG Kansas walleye is in the lakes themselves. Stocking 16,000 acres with even one 5lb walleye per acre would be BIG bucks and too cost prohibitive. A 5lb live walleye would easily cost $30, even if they were available for purchase. I've not seen a place that specializes in the sale of big walleye...but one probably exists somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by springhillwantabe View Post
    great video great fishes seen em collectin at hd looks like a lot more fun when the wind is bout 30 mph?? thanks
    A calm day is a welcomed rarity during the walleye spawn, for sure!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slabby joe View Post
    Excellent video Craig.....that's first class and you are quite talented in taking and editing this walleye video.....I was almost playing an air guitar to the beginning rock music ( I liked the later tunes better...easier on these old ears!) I'm really looking forward to " part two"!!
    Thanks Slabby!! Sorry about your ears, but if you have ever put a stethoscope up to a walleye you will hear the first song in the video!!

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice video. I enjoyed it. Thanks for posting it.

Post Thanks / Like

Great, Great video. Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast