Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Jack plate on jon boat?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jack plate on jon boat?

Any of y'all with jon boats running a jack plate? I just put a new to me mercury 35 hp long shaft on my 1652, and it's very apparent to me that I need a jack plate. So, what's a good one to use that won't break the bank? I don't have a huge budget for this project but I want something that'll do the job without any worry.

Post Thanks / Like

Look up a mini jacker jack plate. Sounds like what your looking for. I have one in the shop now barely used. Send me a pm I can't figure out how if interested

Post Thanks / Like

What height is you transom, if boat is design for short shaft motor make a plate to go over transom and bolt to the right height, cut a 2x4 to fit between plat and transom
    Likes crappiehoarder LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieGod View Post
    What height is you transom, if boat is design for short shaft motor make a plate to go over transom and bolt to the right height, cut a 2x4 to fit between plat and transom
    I replaced my short shaft 25 horse motor with a 30 horse long shaft that came off oa a pontoon boat.

I sandwiched a treated 2X6 between two pieces of 1 1/4" square aluminum tubing that reached from near the bottom of the boat to the top of the 2X6 approximately two inches from each side of the motor. I secured them with four 3/8th. inch stainless steel bolts, flat washers, and self locking nuts that go through both pieces of tubing the transom and the 2X6. It has never loosend=ed up and has worked fine for over five years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loggybayouboy View Post
    Look up a mini jacker jack plate. Sounds like what your looking for. I have one in the shop now barely used. Send me a pm I can't figure out how if interested
    Sent you a pm

Post Thanks / Like

My transom is designed for a short shaft. Can't recall what height it is without going out there. But my long shaft is about 3-4 inches lower than it needs to be.

Post Thanks / Like

The "Mini-Jacker" would be ideal for your purpose. I use to have on my 14' Crestliner. Like you, I got an engine with a long shaft. BIG mistake. But the jack plate helped a lot. However, you may still have to block up your engine more than the single step of the Mini-Jacker.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

had one on a 1648 jon 1 time when had a 50hp on it don't remember the brand my local boat dealer ordered it & put it on for me worked great but had to put 4" alumn. panels on either side of motor on top of transom to stop backwash
    My wife swears I only do enough surveying to support my hunting & fishing because I'm too busy hunting & fishing !