Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What makes a Float'n'Fly rod?

Post Thanks / Like

Question What makes a Float'n'Fly rod?

Here's a newbie question: What makes a float'n'fly rod a float'n'fly rod? What is different about it? Action? Guides? Length? ????

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink good question ...

Quote Originally Posted by Prairiedog
    Here's a newbie question: What makes a float'n'fly rod a float'n'fly rod? What is different about it? Action? Guides? Length? ????
    since the "original" Float & Fly method was simply a Crappie fishing tactic .... float and jig, thrown with normal Crappie tackle.
    Crappie anglers "complained" that Bass were hitting these setups, to a tackle store owner. Now, there are "Float'n'Fly" rods all over the place !!

"Generally speaking" ... a FnF rod is 8ft long, or longer .... has larger than average guides ... has a rod blank that will bend in a parabolic arch ... and is of a spinning rod style/makeup. Some have fixed reel seats, others have the moveable rings, while some may have no way to attach a reel (other than taping it on) ... some have balance weights on the end of the handle.
    But, for all intent and purposes, and IMHO .... ANY rod is a "float'n'fly" rod, if you're throwing a "float" (bobber) and "fly" (jig) with it :D At least, in the world of Crappie fishing it is Leave the Bass crowd to their own definitions :rolleyes: :p

BnM Poles now has 3 different Float'n'Fly rods. The 8ft short handle/balance weight system/fixed reel seat --- and a 9ft & 10ft Tenn Handle with reel holding rings (to place your reel on the handle at a comfortable balance point)

And, as with most other fishing equipment .... there are differing opinions -- these are just mine. ...... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Those of us that use one for smallies as well need it to be able to throw a fly that is any where from 8 to 15 feet below the bobber and still be able to control it meaning noth ooking one self in the back or your partner who is hopefully alot smaller than you and you can take him in a fight. You allow the rod lenght and action to play the fish out due to the fact you have a p*ssed off brown bass ( or new one I taught J brown carp) on the end of 6 lb test that thougth it was about to get to eat a fish ( the fly) and want nothing to do with you or anyone in that boat. He will try to break it at the first opportunity he get. Now some of the other companies that came out with some in the last year have them up to 9 and half feet or so in length. But it gets hard to land a fish with that length.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 11-14-2006 at 10:30 AM.
    If in doubt, cross their eyes!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey CP when are those new rods going to be for sale. They aren't priced on the website.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb I don't know, Dirk ....

Quote Originally Posted by jigsbydirk
    Hey CP when are those new rods going to be for sale. They aren't priced on the website.
    The fastest way to find out, would be to email Jack Wells at BnM (which I have already done ) I'm just waiting on a reply, and will get back to any and all interested members ... once I get that info. (I'll post info in a seperate thread)

I was one of several "field testers" for the Duckworth FnF rod, and have two of them. Very nice rods, for their purpose. Maybe BnM is having the new rods field tested ... and they aren't yet ready for market/shipment. Don't really know ... hang on for further updates. ........ cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks CP, I e-mailed Jack after my first post. I am really interested in the new rods.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Dirk ....(and other interested persons)

Quote Originally Posted by jigsbydirk
    Thanks CP, I e-mailed Jack after my first post. I am really interested in the new rods.
    Jack has answered my email ... the 9ft will go for $62 and the 10ft will go for $64
    The site has been revamped due to BnM going to a new shopping cart format.
    The price posting, on site, is an ongoing process, and should be taken care of soon. .... cp