Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stakes

Post Thanks / Like

Default stakes

any suggestions on where to get wood for stake beds? what type ect. please let me know. thanks!
    WE NEED MORE COWBELL

Post Thanks / Like

Check with your local cabinet shops. They probably throw out or burn more strips of oak and other hardwoods than you'll ever need - at least the ones around here do.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

thanks jerry, i will try that.
    WE NEED MORE COWBELL

Post Thanks / Like

crappie52,

I'm sure it will be too far for you, but if anyone else, close by, is interested I could hook you up with some big pallets. They are the size of a twin up to a king size mattress. They are made pretty cheap, but they could be torn apart easy and have long runners. They're not worth too much, but if anyone can make use of them, let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

CHECK AROUND FOR SMALL GROUND HOG SAWMILLS THAT CUT LUMBER FOR THE PALLET MAKERS.

i have used strips from these mills for the past 6 months and have had good results with all kinds of wood that they have. most of them will give you the stuff just to get it out of their way. hardwoods and pine both work around here. LOL

KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by crappie52
    any suggestions on where to get wood for stake beds? what type ect. please let me know. thanks!
    You are in TOBACCO country. Check around to see if any tobacco farmers have gone out of business. They may have TOBACCO STAKES, that they used to hang tobacco in the barns to dry. Here in North Carolina some of the farmers are willing to part with them just for the taking, we also hve a lot of bamboo which works very well for making "crappie condos". This material is cheeeeep
    Talking, the only cost in making the condos is cement to fill a 5 gallon plastic pail that can be had for picking up at the new home construction sites. These bamboo condos are very easy to make, haul and set out. When fishing them you should not get hung up because all of the limbs are pointed up. You don't even have to strip the leaves off the branches. When setting them out just drop overboard and they should right themselfs as the bamboo shafts are full of air.
    Thumbs up

John

Post Thanks / Like

I too use tobacco stakes. got several neighbors who grow it and have plenty of stakes.
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone ever used Bamboo for stakes? Some will have way bigger ends then people like to use in the condos.
    What about taking the big ends and cutting them at a 45 degree angle and driving them in?
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Bamboo works good and it's really cheap and plentiful if you have access to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShilohRed
    Anyone ever used Bamboo for stakes? Some will have way bigger ends then people like to use in the condos.
    What about taking the big ends and cutting them at a 45 degree angle and driving them in?
    Pete
    I have one like that Pete and it works great,i found a patch of boo that was huge so i used the tops for condos and the bottom section for stakes.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast