Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 800 kHz vs. 455 kHz

Post Thanks / Like

Default 800 kHz vs. 455 kHz

Hello everybody! I'm knew to the forum and just started crappie fishing the year. I have really enjoyed learning about it and have used my electronics more crappie fishing than any other species. I am sorry if this topic has been discussed, but after reading a few topics it's obvious there are some very knowledgeable people on here. My question is what are the pros and cons of these frequencies as it relates to crappie fishing? More and more I am leaning towards the 455 kHz while fishing. I have been catching good fish in 25-35 fow and I think the 455 kHz has a better image at that depth. I don't know if it's debris in the water or the thermocline, but at that depth the 800 kHz it very grainy/choppy. My next question is which do you use fishing shallow? My understanding (remember I'm new) is that crappie can get extremely shallow. Correct me if I'm wrong but the 800 kHz is incapable of reading very shallow banks because of the beam width. Would it be better to use the 455 kHz in shallow water? When would it be goo to use the 800 kHz? I don't think there is that much difference in image quality. Thanks in advance for all the help.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The lower the kHz number, the greater the depth penetration ... so the better the image.

I use 800kHz for water depths of 20' or less (which is what I mostly fish in).

Here's a screenshot showing exactly what you're experiencing :

So, if I were fishing in water less than 20' deep, I'd use the 800kHz setting ... and expect images more like this :

Depending on what unit you use, and the capabilities and settings the unit has ... you'll get more defined images when you get those settings dialed in to your liking and for the depths you're fishing.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chadwick0139 View Post
    Hello everybody! I'm knew to the forum and just started crappie fishing the year. I have really enjoyed learning about it and have used my electronics more crappie fishing than any other species. I am sorry if this topic has been discussed, but after reading a few topics it's obvious there are some very knowledgeable people on here. My question is what are the pros and cons of these frequencies as it relates to crappie fishing? More and more I am leaning towards the 455 kHz while fishing. I have been catching good fish in 25-35 fow and I think the 455 kHz has a better image at that depth. I don't know if it's debris in the water or the thermocline, but at that depth the 800 kHz it very grainy/choppy. My next question is which do you use fishing shallow? My understanding (remember I'm new) is that crappie can get extremely shallow. Correct me if I'm wrong but the 800 kHz is incapable of reading very shallow banks because of the beam width. Would it be better to use the 455 kHz in shallow water? When would it be goo to use the 800 kHz? I don't think there is that much difference in image quality. Thanks in advance for all the help.
    I think that your probably going to have to try both and decide which you like best for your fishing needs.for me,I think that 455 is best for all my fishing needs.800 will give a crisper looking image ,but also is lacking the coverage of the 455.(while using 800 you will not see out as far,and will miss things)this is just me.if im fishing 455.if im playing 800

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I use 455kHz for searching out new structure because the image is brighter all the way to the edges of the display (but fuzzier overall)...

I use 800kHz for nitpicking the structure closer to the boat because the image is crisper...(but darker out to the sides)...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

The 800khz gives a btter image on my Low HDS