Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "10 Day's A King...Krappie King that is!"

Post Thanks / Like

Default "10 Day's A King...Krappie King that is!"

Here is my account from an awesome experience I shared with host Karl Kalonka and cameraman Jay Hotzak, during a 10 day event filming in North Louisiana on Lake Darbonne!

It all started with an idea that I had about contacting Krappie Kings! You never see shows filmed in North Louisiana about crappie fishing, and why not? We have some of the finest Crappie Fishing to offer. I felt that it was my duty to open Karl's eyes and hopefully lure him into Bayou Country!

Bayou State Crappie Assassin country to be more specific! Yes the BSCA is a North La Crappie Organization co-founded by myself (Brandon Jennings aka Treefrog) and Joshua Maxwell better known as (Juicy) here on the forum. We are so much more than just a club, we strive to promote crappie fishing in any form possible. This was a great opportunity to do so on a much broader platform.

Following the new found idea was a master plan to lure Krappie Kings here to North Louisiana. I had confidence that Karl might be a bit different and value the truthfulness he was about to receive! It's not hard to sell Lake D'Arbonne located in Union Parish as a popular crappie destination. Anyone that has experienced this location can attest to this fact.

I submitted an email to Krappie Kings in full detail and offering the assistance from our organization to aid in his arrival. To my surprise a quick response was returned, thanking me for making the contact. After a few exchanges from email. Karl said "Let's see if we can make this a reality". That's all I had to hear! I had previously made contact with a source and I knew exactly where to go to make this happen! Long story made short....over the next few weeks I worked with Union Parish Officials to bring Krappie Kings to Lake D'Arbonne. After weeks of planning, meetings, etc. I received the call to contact Karl and schedule an arrival date. It was from that moment that I realized.."hey this is actually going to work".

The day had arrived! It was Monday morning and I was on my way to the airport to pick up the Krappie King's crew! I would be the guide and host while they were here in North Louisiana for 10 days. Why 10 days you ask? Well this story just keeps evolving. During the course of this event, another angle came into play. Duck Commander members Jay Stone and John Godwin, no strangers to Crappie or Lake D'Arbonne had become involved through a mutual sponsor of the show! BnM Poles had arranged for Krappie Kings to film additional episodes with Stone and Godwin. That's right...now we are filming (3) episodes, one with me and two others with the Duck Commanders!

This has taken on a new role. Now I am the connecting person between Krappie Kings and the Duck Commanders. I am also still responsible for my episode and all of the extracurricular events that are scheduled as well. A large portion of the show features unique cuisine and a focus of the locations surrounding the area. We had several events planned and so much great food was scheduled for filming these cooking segments. I won't reveal all the details, but you can't miss these episodes and the great food that was prepared. If nothing else...Karl, Jay and myself sure did eat good during this 10 day event...lol

Well now on to the real fun, Crappie Fishing with Krappie Kings. We filmed 3 episodes and boy let me tell you did we ever catch some crappie. We captured some great footage and exciting moments that are sure to be the talk for quite sometime. See how we worked through (3) different tactics to show you how versatile of a location you get from Lake Darbonne. From Pushing Jigs, Long-Line Tatics, to single pole action...we covered it all. Some real hawgs were caught during Pre-spawn/Spawn activities, working on staged fish and also active shallow water action! Watch as we battle changing wether conditions, 5 inches of rain, and temp swings of 10 degree water temp changes.... Tune in to the Sportsmans Channel on Dish or Direct TV, see local listing for times.

The 10 days I spent on Lake D'Arbonne with Krappie Kings, well it was an experience. From fishing with a real Pro, hanging out with the Duck Commanders, eating way too much, and seeing how behind the scenes of making a real quality show is Real Work! I have a new found respect for the final version. My 2 days of running the camera boat was a real eye opener! We should be glad that people like Karl and camera man Jay...make such great efforts to bring us a quality show!

Karl and Jay Stone on Lake D'Arbonne!

Karl and John Godwin on Lake D'Arbonne

(Myself) Brandon Jennings and Host Karl Kalonka on Lake D'Arbonne

Karl Kalonka

(Juicy) Joshua Maxwell and his Dad (Maxwell328)

(Freebird) David Freeman and Karl

A special thanks to all of my BSCA members!

LD Henry for providing his nice boat to use during the filming of our episode, and for the guidance and Pre-scouting during the days prior to this event!

James Morgan (southernchuter) for his efforts in making a great Meal at the Dutch Oven cooking event, and for being the camera boat operator during filming our episode.

David Freeman (freebird) for a fine BBQ meal that he provided, which was awesome...this man can smoke some meats and some crappie! Also thanks to David for taking Karl out on Saturday for some relaxing fishing away from the cameras, fun Day for sure!

Bro. Warren Maxwell (Maxwell328) and Joshua (Juicy) for providing a quality meal. Jambalaya, crawfish pie, and some awesome homemade fudge..mmm...mmm good!

Everyone that was involved, I truly appreciate your efforts and it is members like these that make the "Bayou State Crappie Assassin's" such a unique organization that I am so very proud to be part of.

This would not have been possible with-out the help of Mr. Lum Farr, President of the Union Parish Chamber of Commerce, The Union Paish Dept. of Tourism, Union Parish Police Jury, the Lincoln Parish Visitors Bureau, and many other fine Sponsors!

Mr. Farr sent this letter of appreciation, I'd like to share this below:

Recently the Union Parish Tourist Commission, the Union Parish Chamber of Commerce, the Union Parish Police Jury, the Town of Farmerville and the Ruston Lincoln Parish Convention and Visitors Commission sponsored a promotions video to highlight Union and Lincoln Parish’s prize commodity, Lake D’Arbonne. *The filming crew from Onterio, Canada, known as Krappie Kings Television film fishing shows all over the United States and Canada and can be seen on cable TV on the Wildlife Fishing Network (WFN) and the Sports channel.
    The Union Parish Chamber of Commerce would like to thank Brandon Jennings and members of the Bayou State Crappie Assassins fishing club for their participation in the recent filming of the promotional video for Lake D’Arbonne and Union Parish. *Without Mr. Jennings and members of the Crappie Club the promotional video would not have been so successful. *Winn Parish and the city of Winnfield should be honored to have citizens of Mr. Jennings’s caliber who took a personal interest in promoting tourism for North Louisiana as well as family outdoor sports such as Crappie Fishing.
    Mr. Jennings spent nine days of his personal time to provide support for the filming crew by volunteering as a personal guide both on Lake D’Arbonne and driving the film crew throughout Union Parish. *Other members of the Crappie club helped with the promotional video by providing assistance in fishing, filming, cooking for the crew, and many other services as needed.
    Mr. Jennings and the Bayou State Crappie Assassins crew are the type people that should be commended for helping tourism in North Louisiana as well as volunteering to help other Parishes in N. Louisiana as good neighbors should do in this day and time. *Working together and promoting family outdoor activities for children and adults helps keep our children out of trouble and helps teach good family values.
    Lum Farr
    President/CEO
    Union Parish Chamber of Commerce

You will continue to see the Bayou State Crappie Assassin's working in conjunction with these and other North Louisiana Officials, to promote North Louisiana and our quality Crappie Destinations.

Sincerely,
    Brandon Jennings
    BSCA Co-Founder
    Last edited by Brandon Jennings; 04-12-2014 at 02:46 AM.
    Brandon Jennings
    Bayou Crappie ETC
    Likes digihax, Mo'nBack LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice...

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice report. Thanks for your efforts.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice read, great pics. Thanks

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good report. Thanks.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't wait to see the episodes.

Post Thanks / Like

Great report... I can't wait till these shows air. Too bad we have to wait till next year.
    Wishing you Blue Skies and Tight Lines

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for taking so much if your time to organize all of this and helping get a TV show interested in our local lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great write-up Brandon. It was our pleasure meeting you and supporting your club mission of promoting crappie fishing across the entire industry and mainstream America. I am sure the episodes we filmed in Union Parish LA on Lake D`Arbonne will be very popular with most of the crappie anglers who wish to grow the sport and passion of crappie fishing. From spider rigging, to long line trolling tiny jig n` grubs to single pole casting corks to shallow grass lines, we got it all. Thanks again for the effort and friendship with yourself and all the members of your club.

Post Thanks / Like

great report
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast