Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jon boat size

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jon boat size

What do y'all consider a sufficient size for crappie fishing. I run a 1652 with a 35 hp merc. Obviously it's big enough, but where I live I keep finding a lot of 1436 boats with almost new motors for dirt cheap. Been thinking bout picking on up just to have something a little easier to launch when I'm alone. What y'all think? Is a 1436 big enough to handle a couple trolling racks and what not?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes as long as it floats. I've caught more fish in a 12ft Jon than most people with 30 grand rangers.
    Likes TN. WATERSHED LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I'd go with a 42" bottom boat, but I'm 240#s.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 16' V-hull and have it rigged with two 4 pole rod holders and sonar up front with a seat in front and back. I catch plenty trolling or spider rigging straight line with my jon easily.
    I am sure you can go with a shorter boat if you feel you need something smaller. Just rig it the way you want to fish.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

I am using a 14' boat no rod holder on it though but it would be doable

Post Thanks / Like

Bigger is better.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a 17' and while it was a bear to launch by myself I still liked to fish from it.
    FISH ON

Post Thanks / Like

Why is it hard to launch? Are you using a landing or launching from the bank? I launch my 19 foot Triton by myself all the time. I tie a rope to the front hook and leave some slack then shut the rope in the tailgate and tie it to the cargo hook on driver side. I back down to where the boat starts floating, jump out and grab the rope as it drifts back. Pull it to dock and tie it off.

I used to have a G3 that I would put slack in the winch strap and then ease back slowly until it caught. I could step from the tailgate into the boat. Pull it to the dock, tie it off. Then move truck. This boat was lighter and did not snatch on the winch.

That said, there is not much difference in effort to launch a 1652 vs. 1436, but a huge difference when fishing. Especially, if you end up in rough water. Plus, if you decide to bring someone it's more comfortable too.

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have fished for years, out of a 1436 with a deck on the front, bass seats, Hi-Tek rod holders, rigged with lights for nite fishing too, 2 batteries, trolled today with 55lb 12volt motor for 8 hrs easy in even a 2' whitecap chop, 9.8 merc on the back. If you fish by yourself its great, and even good enough when the wife decides to join once in a while. Yep,,bigger is alittle more boat,,but good enough for me. And I have owned 5 diff bassboats, a lake Michigan salmon rigged Mark Twain fiberglass 26' boat, and numerous other V Bottom types plus a few canoes including a 16' square stern with 5 hp kicker on the back. I weigh 165 and have a tendancy to carry too much gear as well in my boat and too many tackle boxes. I just like smaller to get into tight places. And,,u don't burn much gas at all. I pick my times to fish big water with the other boats running back and forth as today was on Patoka Res. about 8800 acres today. Just my 2 cents.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses. I think some may have misunderstood. I'm not getting getting rid of my 1652. Just thought about picking up one of these cheap rigs for smaller waters. Not easy launching a 1652 in shallow backwater by yourself. I don't have a break down trailer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast