Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Line Twist

Post Thanks / Like

Default Line Twist

I WENT OUT SAT. AND IT WAS VERY WINDY. DIDN'T GET ANY BITES ON MINNOWS OR JIGS SO I TROLLED FOR A WHILE WHEN I REELED IN MY LINE WAS TWISTED UP LIKE A CORKSCREW. WHAT CAUSES THIS?

Post Thanks / Like

Default twisted line

Did you have a swivel between your line and your lure?
    John

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Depends on what you were "trolling with" ...

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKET HEAD
    I WENT OUT SAT. AND IT WAS VERY WINDY. DIDN'T GET ANY BITES ON MINNOWS OR JIGS SO I TROLLED FOR A WHILE WHEN I REELED IN MY LINE WAS TWISTED UP LIKE A CORKSCREW. WHAT CAUSES THIS?

or it could have been that your line was already twisted up, down in the spool, past where you would normally get to while casting or tightlining.

"Spinning" lures will twist your line ... be they cranks, minnows, jigs, or in-line spinners. Even casting a jig will put twist in the line (watch your jig fly, when cast, sometime ... )
    Minnows "can" twist the line, too, especially if you're using med sized minnows (or larger) and they're "frisky". If you "troll" with them, and they get "cockeyed" on the hook, they'll spin ... and sometimes, if you're trolling faster than they can swim (or stay upright), they'll spin.
    Crankbaits, trolled too fast, will "roll" ... and sometimes they catch leaves or junk suspended in the water, which causes them to "spin".
    Jigs don't usually spin ... unless they're tangled in the line, or catch onto leaves & stuff. So, if you were using them, the twist may have already been in the line ... but, deeper in the spool than a normal cast's distance (assuming, of course, that you trolled them at a greater distance than you normally cast them).

Cutting the baits/weights off ... letting out about 1/3 to 1/2 of the spool's line ... and "trolling" it behind the boat for a few minutes, will remove a large portion of any twist. (1/3 of large capacity spools, 1/2 of small capacity spools, is usually more than enough line to drag behind the boat)

This is, of course, assuming that we are talking spinning/spincast reels, here. Baitcast type reels will get line twist ... same reasons as mentioned above ... they just don't "cause" it, like spinning reels can (it's in the mechanics of their retrieve ... they "loop" line around the stationary spool, whereas a baitcast "winches" line back on a rolling spool).

Anyway ... that's my "theory" on your line twist problem. And, short of re-spooling with new line, dragging the line in the water (or even around the yard, thru the grass) will undo most of the twisting. But, I suggest taking a good look at the last 50ft or so, of your lines, just to check for kinks or nicks. ........ cp

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I Had A Swivel BETWEEN THE LINE AND LURE. I THOUGHT THEY WERE SUPPOSE TO ELIMINATE THIS PROBLEM???
    Last edited by BUCKET HEAD; 11-13-2006 at 12:36 PM.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question But, what ......

Yes I Had A Swivel BETWEEN THE LINE AND LURE. I THOUGHT THEY WERE SUPPOSE TO ELIMINATE THIS PROBLEM???
    was the "lure" and what "brand/type" was the swivel ??

Even the Sampo ball bearing swivels (best swivels IMHO) can't eliminate line twist, if the lure spin is severe. The "gold colored" swivels are (again, IMHO) just about useless ... and only add weight and another point of potential hang-up. ....... cp

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Chances are that you put your line on wrong from the package. I've done it many times. Let the line out as CP said and it might fix it. Be careful as you fill your spool next time. Wind a little line on and stop and make sure it's not twisting as you put it on. If it is, turn the spool over and keep winding. Check every 40 ft or so of line you put on and turn as needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    was the "lure" and what "brand/type" was the swivel ??

Even the Sampo ball bearing swivels (best swivels IMHO) can't eliminate line twist, if the lure spin is severe. The "gold colored" swivels are (again, IMHO) just about useless ... and only add weight and another point of potential hang-up. ....... cp
    WAS USING A 1/8 OZ. ROADRUNNER WITH A CURLY TAIL GRUB AND WAL-MART BRASS SWIVEL SNAP.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb I see no reason ....

WAS USING A 1/8 OZ. ROADRUNNER WITH A CURLY TAIL GRUB AND WAL-MART BRASS SWIVEL SNAP.
    for that particular bait to cause line twist, especially since it's so large and heavy.
    Unless the curly tail somehow managed to get hung-up in the hook, I see no reason for that style of bait to roll, either ... even if trolled rather fast.

Had you been casting with these set-ups, before trolling with them ?? If so, you may have imparted a large percentage of the twist, then. Do you close the bail by hand, after the cast, or close it by cranking the handle ? Closing the bail, by cranking the handle, imparts at least one twist in the line for each cast made.

Barring the multiple cast/handle crank bail closing, and hung-up curly tail spin theories .... it would seem to point in the direction of "previous" line twist already present within the spooled line -- either from previous use, or as Chaunc has suggested ... from improper spooling of the line. (if not a combination of both)

I would ask ... why you even bothered with a swivel ... but, I'll assume it was added for ease of bait changes. The "brass" versions are of little use, as far as eliminating line twist. A "clip" would have served the same purpose (quick change).

There's not really much you can do, to eliminate line twist with a spinning reel. The best you can do is to recognize the many reasons why it can occur, and try and diminish them as much as possible ... and do the periodic "line drag" proceedure, to keep the twisting from becoming severe. ... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    for that particular bait to cause line twist, especially since it's so large and heavy.
    Unless the curly tail somehow managed to get hung-up in the hook, I see no reason for that style of bait to roll, either ... even if trolled rather fast.

Had you been casting with these set-ups, before trolling with them ?? If so, you may have imparted a large percentage of the twist, then. Do you close the bail by hand, after the cast, or close it by cranking the handle ? Closing the bail, by cranking the handle, imparts at least one twist in the line for each cast made.

Barring the multiple cast/handle crank bail closing, and hung-up curly tail spin theories .... it would seem to point in the direction of "previous" line twist already present within the spooled line -- either from previous use, or as Chaunc has suggested ... from improper spooling of the line. (if not a combination of both)

I would ask ... why you even bothered with a swivel ... but, I'll assume it was added for ease of bait changes. The "brass" versions are of little use, as far as eliminating line twist. A "clip" would have served the same purpose (quick change).

There's not really much you can do, to eliminate line twist with a spinning reel. The best you can do is to recognize the many reasons why it can occur, and try and diminish them as much as possible ... and do the periodic "line drag" proceedure, to keep the twisting from becoming severe. ... luck2ya ... cp
    YES THE SNAP IS FOR EASE OF LURE CHANGES. I CLOSE THE BAIL BY CRANKING THE HANDLE. WHEN I CUT EVERYTHING OFF AND LET OUT LINE AND DRAG BEHIND THE BOAT TO STRAIGHTEN OUT THE TWIST SHOULD I BRING THE BOAT TO A STOP BEFORE REELING IN OR DOES IT MATTER?

Post Thanks / Like

I had more then normal line twist this weekend. Was do to picking up pine needles while trolling. Just them little things can sure make a mess . Ran my line out behide the boat and hopefully it will be in good shape. trolling 1/6 oz. jigs with 2" triple ripple
    CVA62.....64-68

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast