Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fluorescent line question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fluorescent line question

First off let me say howdy to everyone, I've been lurking in the shadows for about a yr and even though I'm pretty computer illiterate I decided it was time to jump in. I've been a resident of the Lake of the Ozarks for the last 57 yrs. grew up and raised in a fishing resort my parents owned from the late 50's to the early 70's right next to the Grand Glaize Bridge so I know the Glaize somewhat , I don't get to fish as much as I'd like these days but while the big boats are still docked I do sneak out from time to time.

Anyway, with all that a side, I've always been leary of fluorescent line spooking fish but as age has it, my eyes just don't see that clear mono as good as they use to. Do you that use Fluorescent yellow line think it has much effect on spooking fish? I'd sure like to hear your throughts before respooling. Thanks

Bladesmith
    www.billbuxtonknives.com
    Likes south point LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

All I use. If you're worried, some tie on a clear leader. I don't, and its never been a problem. I'm a line watcher, so I need the hi-vis line.

BTW Welcome to the Board

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the board, Bladesmith....

As wharfrat said, you can tie on a leader of mono if it makes you feel better. Or, if you use braided line, you can use a sharpie to color the last few feet of line black. Some say you shouldn't have to worry about it unless you're fishing in really really clear water. If you're fishing stained water, the fish won't notice.

Two things convinced me, though: The first (and most influential) was the fact that I've watched people with hi-vis line catch the crap out of fish with seemingly no effect. The second was a guide who once told me....in an average fish's life, they might've seen a line once or twice. Certainly not often enough for them to make an association. We use chartreuse baits...that doesn't seem to spook them, even though they don't look much like a natural food source.

Good enough for me, so I've been using it and likely will continue. And as I always remind myself...if I'm not catching fish, (which is a lot!) there are PLENTY of reasons to consider before looking at the color of my line.

Likes springhillwantabe LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

i use hi- vis line no problems

jigfisherx is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General, MO Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Some fluorocarbon lines are hi-vis in the sunlight but clear when under water. Never used it personally but the demo I saw was cool. I use both hi-vis and grey mono with good results.
    God bless Charlie Brewer and Bobby Garland.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joedog View Post
    Welcome to the board, Bladesmith....

As wharfrat said, you can tie on a leader of mono if it makes you feel better. Or, if you use braided line, you can use a sharpie to color the last few feet of line black. Some say you shouldn't have to worry about it unless you're fishing in really really clear water. If you're fishing stained water, the fish won't notice.

Two things convinced me, though: The first (and most influential) was the fact that I've watched people with hi-vis line catch the crap out of fish with seemingly no effect. The second was a guide who once told me....in an average fish's life, they might've seen a line once or twice. Certainly not often enough for them to make an association. We use chartreuse baits...that doesn't seem to spook them, even though they don't look much like a natural food source.

Good enough for me, so I've been using it and likely will continue. And as I always remind myself...if I'm not catching fish, (which is a lot!) there are PLENTY of reasons to consider before looking at the color of my line.
    Like fishing in the tree tops? Fish Yellow line all the time I can see the bite a lot of times before I feel it .
    May all your live wells be full.
    Dave
    Likes dfar LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use hi vis for everything but I also fish Truman which stays fairly dirty to most people's standards. You have to use what you have confidence in though. Try spooling one rod with hi vis and keep another rigged what you normally fish with. Use the two different rods and see if you notice a difference in bites on each.

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone is different and opinions are too. The important thing is your own opinion. If you will get more enjoyment out of your time on the water, then use the brightest dang line you can find. I promise it's fun to watch the line take a big ol jump while your lure is falling!

And welcome to the site....glad you finally waded in!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank everyone for the comments, I'm going to pick up some and give it go, probably tomorrow. These old peepers aren't what they use to be so brighter line will sure help.Bladesmith
    www.billbuxtonknives.com

Post Thanks / Like

We use fireline crystal(4-10). It is a white line and I can see that better than anything else I have ever used. We just started using yellow power pro(2-10). So far I like it a lot, but it had only been couple weeks. I like how thin it is. Plus you can see it. No where near as good as the crystal! That is what I would recommend for you! I love it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast