Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice mounting transducers to transom

Post Thanks / Like

Question Need advice mounting transducers to transom

I have finally after almost 4 years of searching picked out a new to me boat to replace the one Ive fished from for ages and I am setting it up now with my Lowrance HDS transducer on the back and the LSS-1 transducer as well but I am unsure as to exactly where I should locate them on this particular boat. I know what the book says for the transducers but it don't say anything about a boat with a transom as this is. As you can see, its got three different sections to the back end of it. I do know I need to put one on one side of motor and the other transducer on the other side, as I mounted them on my old boat. I also am told there is a plate you can purchase from BPS or maybe somebody has an idea of something they did so I do NOT have to drill holes into my boat. Right now it don't leak a drop and I would sure love to glue a plate on to mount these two transducers to that will hold them and I wont have any issues... Any advice is much appreciated..........GCF
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

For your 2d I would mount it inside the boat and I would find a jack plate bracket that I could adapt for the side and down scan.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

google sternmate and sternsaver, these two options use expoy to attach a piece of starboard to the FG hull. I used the sternsaver on my tin boat, still there after two yrs. I mounted the 2d and the LSS 1 on the same side of the motor, no issues so far.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

What is the half moon shaped piece above the port bunk? Tranducer mounting area???

Post Thanks / Like

I would mount them on the bottom in between the ribs and put your structure scan lower than the 2d that should get the best speed image but you my have to drill a hole to put a transducer or epoxy one on the inside for full side image

Post Thanks / Like

I was hoping somebody would say use that middle area as it works fine. The very bottom is where I would have wanted but that is way up under the boat and almost no room between boat and trailer bunk area and hard for me to believe that is proper place. That middle section even somebody asked about the rounded spot there, I aint sure but it does look like a place to mount a transducer but I do not know for sure. I know the side/down scan will work from that area as it does not even work at higher speeds anyway, so it will be fine. Biggest concern is the sonar transducer location.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Like I said above. Mount the sonar transducer in the well inside where pumps are located. Shoot through hull. That way you have sonar at speed. May have to use plumbers putty and move it around to find right spot. Think I would call boat manufacture and ask them about mounting. I have always tried to stay away from mounting one right in front of prop because of ventilation.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Boat is older model Hydra Sports LS 205. Has a 225 outboard but no jack plate. I am not worried about side/down scan transducer though as much as the other. I have an older HST-WSBL transducer that I may try epoxying down inside boat and seeing what kind of results I get from that. Worse case on that, I can leave it there, no harm no foul. Also if works, it saved me the trouble. Just want to be getting a good deep water reading as I fish lots of different lakes and I do like to move on some so a good bottom reading is a must. Thanks for suggestions.

RCC is offline Crappie.com Legend and Arkansas Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I build a bracket for mine that attaches with the motor mounting bolts. I did this to keep from drilling holes in the hull. The link with the full build and instructions are here.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/showt...Rigging-Thread

Here is a pic after it was all completed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    RCC's Crappie Eradication Service
    Eliminating your slab problems one fish at a time
    For free estimates give us a call at O U 812.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Shoot thru hull applications can easily be tested before actually epoxying the xducer in the bilge...

Add enough water to cover the xducer in the bilge and weight the xducer down with a sand bag of some kind...

Test at boat speed for readings and re-position xducer in the bilge until the 2d readings are steady and accurate...

Then dry and clean that spot in the bilge for epoxying the xducer in...

Plumbers putty makes a good temporary dam to pour the epoxy in....

Always use a slow cure epoxy...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast