Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: chain saw sharpenin Idea

Post Thanks / Like

Default chain saw sharpenin Idea

I put my chain saw file in my cordless drill and use it to sharpen my saw , while it goes round and round I push and pull just like regular and you can reverse it if needed, its just a thought I would pass along

Post Thanks / Like

Good idea 410, I will have to give that a try.
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a buddy of mine that uses the little cheap dremels from walmart with a stone attachment on it and that way works really good, i guess its the amount of rpm's it turns.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

good luck to you fellas, that's a quick and dirty way to eat up a chain because you never get the angles the same on the individual teeth so it increases kickback and seriously shortens the life of your chain. i sharpen saws about 4 times a week, so i have tried every short cut in the book.
    "We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect"
    -Aldo Leopold

Post Thanks / Like

fryguy,

How do you sharpen yours? Do you just use a file?

Post Thanks / Like

typically i just use a file, but it is very very very important to use the right sized file as i see most people using files that are too big or too small. it will say on the box the chain comes in what size and what angle to use. if i'm in a pinch we have a "chain saw grinding wheel" that will do it in about 2 minutes. basically, it's a big, expensive wheel that has a ton of angle settings to make sure you get that right. it's great at getting a uniform angle, but it can't keep the curve going in the teeth so it cuts a little rougher. of a period of time that can hurt the saw because it has to constantly work harder.
    "We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect"
    -Aldo Leopold

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the time when the chain gets dull, i just throw it away and buy another one from walley word.
    You can't fish with a hung line!