Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fishing Crappie in MA

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing Crappie in MA

Well me and my son do a lot of Bass Fishing but we always catch every thing else in between , Last year my son an I were fishing at a lake near where I live and he was using a good size popper and caught a Black Crappie that weight just oz over a pound I've never saw a crappie that big. So this year we are going to try to target crappie this year and would like to get some info on jigs or what ever to use to catch these.
    I've bought some road runners, mini tubes, and slip bobber's {Wobble Bobber} will live baits work also?

East Freetown, MA

Post Thanks / Like

Yep minnows will work, just have to get them to correct depth and you'll have a blast

Post Thanks / Like

No doubt minnow on a hook or jig head work. However, why bother with the extra up-keep (minnow bucket, aerator, dip net) when you just need some 1/16 oz. jig heads and several colors of 2" curly tailed grubs to go on the back. Casting and/or drifting will get you bit.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Will I have been getting a lot of hit's from crappie with 1/16oz road runner with Black-Chartreuse color in dark waters, my son uses mumpher's for live bait that he catches in marsh waters . They are hardy live fish bait he catches with a minnow trap an can be use in fresh water and brackish water , so far he caught a 1lb 7oz crappie and a 3lb bass.

Post Thanks / Like

I was in a canoe last year at Long Pond in Rutland, MA. June of 2015. I caught so many crappies in 1 hour that I literally had to leave. My entire stringer was full with maybe 18 of them and they kept hitting nonstop. I was so happy to get them in hot oil when I got home that I almost tipped the canoe coming to shore. Really good crappie fishing there end of May to June.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jarablue View Post
    I was in a canoe last year at Long Pond in Rutland, MA. June of 2015. I caught so many crappies in 1 hour that I literally had to leave. My entire stringer was full with maybe 18 of them and they kept hitting nonstop. I was so happy to get them in hot oil when I got home that I almost tipped the canoe coming to shore. Really good crappie fishing there end of May to June.

We have a Long Pond in Freetown MA. very big lake? besides big bass my son an I love fishing for crappies . The biggest we caught was 1lb 12oz at Mary's Pond
    you can find all the ponds an lakes here in MA Fish Finder.com :MA Fish Finder - Massachusetts Fishing Reports, Maps, News & Hotspots. Get Hooked on Massachusetts.

Post Thanks / Like

just remember - they feed upward.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rdhammah View Post
    just remember - they feed upward.
    Ya know, that's about all I've ever been told. But, in my experience, especially early in the season, I do better with a very slow retrieve along the bottom. Go figure!

Maybe it's best to give them what they want, and not we want to give them. Just a thought.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."