Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Muddy water 2???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Muddy water 2???

I had posted earlier about my trouble with muddy water? Thanks to all who have responded, great input! But, still so many questions. So, what I gather is darker is better? Okay, I'm going to give that a go! Now then, what about location, location? Does any one understand how these fish react to these conditions? Do feel they will vacate an entire are they use heavily for spawning? Cause if so that means there gonna have to go to the other side of the lake, lower end. I'm being silly, I know guys, but really it's frustrating, this is the prime time for fast action fishing and we have to share with rain. Muddy water and wind, just kills it, or does it?

Post Thanks / Like

I havn't read your other post but if it was me I would be fishing shallow, close to the bank on lay downs and stumps or standing timber . I would also be casting parrallel to the bank as best as possible using a jig under a bobber. That is just what works for me this time of year.
    Lets go soak a line. Pat
    Likes genec LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

As long as there's not more dirty water coming in, the backs of creeks & shallow banks should clear up the fastest. The particles will have less depth to settle out in, so they won't take as long as in deeper water.
    Black Crappie will tolerate dirty water, but White Crappie actually prefer it. Just understand that I'm referring to "dirty" water, not mud puddle water. And as long as the temps are not quite right for spawning, and the fish are still in a pre-spawn feeding mode, they'll still be roaming around (which is why you find them "scattered" )

I fished Barkley Lake one time when it was flooded up into the live trees along the shoreline. The water was 3-4 feet deep up the trunks of these trees, and the water was still dingy/dirty. Not actually "muddy", but a tan to light brown, with visibility barely a inch or two at best. We found the fish to be nosed up against the trunks of these flooded live trees, and they would bite, but only if you put the minnow right close to the tree. A foot away from the tree trunk and you may as well be fishing on dry land.
    We figured that the fish had come in to spawn, followed the rising water into the flooded live timber, and were nosed to the trees to maintain their orientation & waiting for the water levels to stabilize. We did catch a fish or two in the buck bushes, even though they were in 6-8ft of water, but we could only find a few stands of bushes because of the high/dirty water.
    Most people were taking one look at the lake & turning their rigs around & heading back home. But, those that launched & fished back in those flooded live trees, caught fish. The same procedure worked on KY Lake, as evidenced by another buddy that was with us, fishing out of another boat. This would have been in late April.

Another trip, in early April & on KY Lake, found us fishing in a flooded weed field in the back of a small bay ... just down from KY Lake Dam. Two friends in one boat got limits tightline fishing minnows, while my partner & I limited out casting chartreuse marabou Roadrunners over the flooded weeds. Again, the water was "dirty" ... not "muddy".

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you CP, I gave it a try and nothing. The water is awful now, and we just keep getting rain. Yesterday, i gave it ago, just one nice size white. On a black and hot pink slab slayer, vertical jigging. When this water get this way it shuts everything down. Everyone i passed, had the same story, nothing. Bass and crappie fishermen alike, just nothing. But, if i get one. Why not many more?

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by electric chicken View Post
    But, if i get one. Why not many more?
    They're not schooled up tight, right now. Rising water means they have more territory to explore, more food available in the flooded grasses & woods, and they're harder to get to (IF they ARE shallow).

With the Winter having been colder/longer than normal, water temps are probably still not where they'd normally be ... and with the water clarity being what it is, they may be hunkered down and waiting for more stable conditions.

Depending on what lake you're fishing, and which part of that lake ... you may still have a couple more weeks before the spawn starts (or ends). Check over on the KY state forum & see if any discussions are going on about the lake. IF not, start one ... if there is, join in !!

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Long line trolling can often produce much better when fish get scattered in these situations.