Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: breaking rods

Post Thanks / Like

Default breaking rods

I broke another rod Wednesday. It seems the ones that break are Berkley Cherrywood rods. Since this is the majority of the rods I fish with, this may have something to do with it. I have broken several and I seem to use them the same way and the other rods seem to be sturdier and I haven't broken as many of these. Is it just me, or are these rods more easily broken. I like the guides and they are great for shooting docks. they just seem to break easily......crappie1133

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear that. Wish there was a very strong light action rod that would last a long time. I actually go with Ugly Stik for all my rods. They seem to last longer for me and they are light action to shoot or jig.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

I am rapidly approaching forty years of fishing and have yet to break a rod.

Knock on wood.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the Cherrywood is a graphite rod. Graphite's never take as much abuse as a fiberglass, or fiberglass composite rod. I don't know what all your rods go through, but bumps and bangs are harder on the graphite's. At least that is what I have found.

I have had a Cherrywood for years and had no problems, but that could change at any moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drifty4 View Post
    I believe the Cherrywood is a graphite rod. Graphite's never take as much abuse as a fiberglass, or fiberglass composite rod. I don't know what all your rods go through, but bumps and bangs are harder on the graphite's. At least that is what I have found.

I have had a Cherrywood for years and had no problems, but that could change at any moment.
    In all fairness to Berkley I probably was abusing the rod. It just doesn't stand up to the abuse I was putting it through. I have got another one on order...... crappie1133

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drifty4 View Post

What Drifty said
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 5'6" Cherrywood I use fire casting small cracks and the tip section kept casting off. It eventually broke right at the end of the bottom section. Luckily it only broke off about a half inch, so I put some epoxy on it and put it back together and haven't had any more problems. I've had a bad run on breaking rods the lasty few years. 3 this year, 4 last year, and 2 the year before. Only one while catching a fish.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it was 3 yrs ago I broke about 5 or 6 rods. I don' know if I brake so many because I buy cheap rods or if I buy cheap rods because I break so many rods. No, really when I lay my rods on the side of the boat they end up under the cleat and when I pick them up they snap.
    Trump is like the guy that comes on the playground and beats up on the guys that's been pushing you around for the last 30 or 40 years.

Post Thanks / Like

I've broken two. Got at Walmart returned first one second broke a month later

Post Thanks / Like

After going five or six years without a break i've broken three tips this year already

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast