Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crazy crappie trip! I'm still stunned...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crazy crappie trip! I'm still stunned...

Southern Pa. weather forcast for 11-11-06 was for 60+ degrees and no wind.

I called my cousin to confirm the fact that we HAD to miss the last day of turkey season to go fishing...you don't get many days like this in November.

My cousin, his 14 year old son and myself launched the boat at first light. We caught a few nice perch early using small minnows under a bobber. The crappie were few and far between, and were much deeper than I expected.

I got rid of the bobber, and switched to my favorite fall lure. A bubble gum pink 1/16 oz jig with a minnow jigged vertically. We caught a few here and there. Most of the fish were around 20' deep ( water temp was 43). I think I caught 8 crappie by noon, all under 10". We also caught a few more yellow perch, and two largemouth bass...one 16" and one 18".

Around 2pm we were cruising across the "wide water" to go to another spot, when the fish finder went nuts. More fish than you could pack on one screen. Water was 55' deep and the fish were suspended at around 35'. CRAPPIE?

I said " I highly doubt it." Too late. My cousin shut down the trolling motor, dropped anchor and casted his jig. Rather than just set there...I dropped my jig also.

I fished for about 15 mins. before I felt a slight weight on my line. I gave a half hearted hook set, and my rod bent into a U shape with no movement.

"Great! I hooked the anchor rope!!!"

Just then, my line slowly moved to the right. I told the guys that I have caught a few decent bass on this 6'6" ultra light rod....and whatever I had hooked was bigger than anything I had ever felt. I pulled this fish to about 10' from the boat when it took off...2 or 3 times. The tiny Pflueger Trion reel's drag was screaming! There was no doubt in my mind that the 4 pound Trilene I was using would break before I got to see this fish.

After 5 or 6 attempts, and around 10 minutes...we netted my fish.

It was a 25 1/2" 6lb 9oz walleye!!!

6'6" BPS ultralight rod, Pflueger Trion 20 series reel, 4lb Trilene XL and a 1/16 oz. jig!!!

I was stunned and I'm still a VERY HAPPY CAMPER!

I never landed a fish that big on tackle that light...I'm sure many of you have...but I was like a little kid out there.

I put my rod down, and said "well, I'm done for the day." Of course I re-baited my jig and fished until sunset.

My cousin asked if I was going to have it mounted...I said "yeah, right between a baked potato and the mac n cheese!":D

I will post pics of my walleye ASAP!
    Last edited by BUCKMARK; 11-11-2006 at 09:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Nice eye...thats a fish you wont soon forget plus you couldnt have a better supper.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Great story...And very nice catch...

Post Thanks / Like

Man that gives a new meaning to ultralight fishing!

Nice fish, glad you were able to get him in.
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

thats the best way to have it mounted for sure !!

VIRGINIA GAMEFISH TAGGING PROGRAM MEMBER

Post Thanks / Like

Nice walleye and great story!

Post Thanks / Like

That would have been some fight with that light tackle. Lot of fun too. Nice fish. Congrats!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Buck

I see you discovered fall walleye. The fish you marked could have been anything, but was probably baitfish of some sort or perch or crappies, but the walleye you caught was feeding on them. Walleyes are wolves. Find bait in the fall and you'll find walleyes feeding on them getting ready for winter. Next time throw on a perch pattern deep crankbait like a glass shadrap or a perch pattern swimbait like a northland mimic minnow or a storm wildeye and you'll have the time of your life and will probably catch walleye up to or over 10 lbs. You don't need really heavy tackle. I catch all mine on 6lb test.

Nice catch
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

I know the feeling that you experanced, I have never caught a fish that big on u/l system, and thats why i fish primarly ultra light............congratulations
    Stinkies Daddy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast