Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scented Baits

Post Thanks / Like

Default Scented Baits

I've been a member for a while but haven't posted much. I'm an older guy fishing some of the same places I fished 50 years ago as a kid. I shore fish (mostly) a 900 acre lake, shallow, eutrophic, and with a major algae bloom, visibility typically less than 1 foot and a much smaller 50 acre lake also with stained water.

When I was a kid the water was not as stained and a Pinkie Jig was the way to go. Then for many years I used a chartreuse or orange 1/32 jig with a chartreuse or chartreuse flake or some kind of green 1" curly-tail.

Somewhere back in time (20 years?) I bought a single tube of stuff called Chum'n'Rub. It came in a blue chapstick tube and the stuff I got had silver flake. It worked well, definitely out-fishing a plain jig and seemed to me to be particularly effective in colder water. It also went a long way. I still have it in an old tackle box around here somewhere, with a smidge of the original stuff left. It was made with minnows, according to the label, and had a chapstick like consistency that stuck to plastic jigs pretty well, but the flakes got all over the place. By the time I was running low, I couldn't find any more.

The last couple of years I've really relied on Gulp Alive 1" minnows. I did a little search and saw at least one member thought they were more effective than live minnows. I remembered my first experience with Gulp minnows when I read that.

I was fishing in a small harbor full of slip docks alongside a guy I see around fishing all the time. We were both fishing jigs under bobbers around the slip docks, and he was out catching me about 3-1. I was using my usual 1/32 oz orange jig and 1" chartreuse/flake curly-tail tipped with a minnow. Mike showed me the Gulp Alive minnow he was using, Emerald Shiner. He gave me one to try and directly I began matching him, fish for fish. So at least in some situations, I think they do out-fish live minnows. In any case I went right out and bought some, and I've been using them ever since. Chartreuse is my favorite, but I've used Black Shad, Emerald Shiner, Smelt, Lumaglow and Pumpkinseed too and they all seem to work, perhaps just as well. It seems to me they are more effective than curly-tails, even tipped with a minnow, in colder water. In warmer water when the crappie are on the bite the difference isn't as great.

I've also found I get a lot more hits from bigger fish using Gulp Alive minnows than a plain jig or even a jig and minnow ever attracted. I've changed the way I set up my gear to account for the now very real possibility that I will get bit by a largemouth, a wiper, or even a catfish. The local bluegill who often ignore baits that don't have a beemoth or bit of worm on the hook will definitely bite them. When they get too chewed up to stay on the hook for crappie fishing I put them in an old jar and use the bits and pieces for bluegill bait.

For some reason it seems Cabela's and Bass Pro around here (NW IN) consider these exclusively ice fishing baits and don't really try to stock them in warmer weather. They're out of stock now. We've learned to stock up.

I've also learned the hard way about the leaking bottles. I tried a Plano Bait Locker with a hinged lid and a gasket, but it leaked. I've had better luck carefully cutting out the foil top around the inside edge of the jar, leaving the original sealing surface intact. I can fit them standing up in a side pocket on my tackle bag now dedicated (anointed?) to them and if I'm careful I can keep them standing up.

I just ordered a small bottle of Pro Cure Super Gel Crappie and Panfish, recommended by a member here although he had shrimp flavor. Has anyone tried this stuff? Anyone have some experience with other baits that work?
    Likes FIN, Crappitier LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice read. I'd like to hear about the "Pro Cure Super Gel Crappie and Panfish" as well.
    FIN

Post Thanks / Like

Ive been using 1 inch gulp minnows for years and i recently found the 2 inch variety they work great the 3 inch ones will decimate white bass big crappie and good sized large mouth and small mouth but the trick is throwing them with a collarless jig head so it dont rip up the bait

Post Thanks / Like

I've had good results with regular Gulp Minnows too. I use the 3" on a 1/4 oz pony head on light tackle for largemouth and wipers.

You're right about not running them up on the collar of a jig, they're too soft for that and they will tear. When I use collared jigs i just run them up to the back of the collar. I use the 1" minnows up, hooking them through the side and upside down. As long as they'll hang on the hook they work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SpeckMaster View Post
    I've had good results with regular Gulp Minnows too. I use the 3" on a 1/4 oz pony head on light tackle for largemouth and wipers.

You're right about not running them up on the collar of a jig, they're too soft for that and they will tear. When I use collared jigs i just run them up to the back of the collar. I use the 1" minnows up, hooking them through the side and upside down. As long as they'll hang on the hook they work.
    I will have to try that trick i usually just throw em out after there ripped all to heck

Post Thanks / Like

Firm believer in the Gulp minnows also. They catch pretty much most fish that swim. I will use them especially if the fish are not hitting a jig and crappie nibble real hard and they seem to get them to hold on longer.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the 1" gulp minnows all the time... I put them in a urine cup I found at a local pharmacy. The cup seals up really well and I don't have to deal with that juice leaking

Luvfatslabs is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaCrappieMan View Post
    I use the 1" gulp minnows all the time... I put them in a urine cup I found at a local pharmacy. The cup seals up really well and I don't have to deal with that juice leaking
    Good idea, thanks for sharing
    Good luck and good fishing

Post Thanks / Like

"... I put them in a urine cup I found at a local pharmacy. The cup seals up really well..."

Now there's a great idea! I guess they made sure those have a reliable seal. heh.

Also, in an interesting coincidence, Larry Dahlberg gave some support to the idea that scent is especially effective in cold water.

Watching The Hunt For Big Fish, Dahlberg was fishing tarpon but the guys in the boat started talking scent. Dahlberg spoke about a spot he knew where smallmouth congregate in cold weather. He said if you worked non-scented baits in the hole you would think there were no fish there, but a scented worm would get bit every time. So a little more anecdotal evidence supports using scented baits in colder water at least.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know about Chumb-n-rub ... but, this is as close to what you're describing as I can think of :

http://www.fishstickslureenhancer.co...t_crappie.html

... cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast