Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Minnow Question

Etowah, Tn. foothills to the Smokey Mountains
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Minnow Question

I was born in 1953 and we had a cabin on Watts Bar lake in the 60's. Remember my Dad taking me crappie fishing and he always got Baltimore minnows. Do they still sell these anymore? All I see is shiners.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tenncrappie View Post
    I was born in 1953 and we had a cabin on Watts Bar lake in the 60's. Remember my Dad taking me crappie fishing and he always got Baltimore minnows. Do they still sell these anymore? All I see is shiners.
    TC ... back when we were having the Crappie.com tourneys on Watts Bar (2000-2005), the owner of Eden Marina sold "tuffies" (Fatheads) and there would be the occasional "Rosey Red" in the mix. But, I'd have to go back a few more decades to remember getting "Baltimore minnows" (goldfish) from that area. But, back then we were primarily fishing for Smallmouth, and usually brought our own minnows (Fatheads). We only bought the Baltimores one time, and that was so we could catch bigger Smallmouth than what our Fatheads were catching.

You're most likely going to have to go to a pet shop or Wallace World to get goldfish, and even then they may not have the olive-green "Baltimore" version.

... cp

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a term I've never heard. Pretty much all you can get in my part of the country is Fatheads and occasionally rosy reds.

Etowah, Tn. foothills to the Smokey Mountains
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I'm a dinosaur to remember such!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kycreekboy View Post
    That's a term I've never heard. Pretty much all you can get in my part of the country is Fatheads and occasionally rosy reds.
    i have a store in georgetown i go to rozy reds 1 $a dozen they are small but lord they work also i use baby gold fish 6for a 1$ and crappie love a goldfish

Hat55 is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tenncrappie View Post
    Maybe I'm a dinosaur to remember such!!!!!
    A lot of us getting that way.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER