Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Anyone run a Lund Fury 1600 SS w/ 10 - 15 hp motor on Restricted Lakes?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone run a Lund Fury 1600 SS w/ 10 - 15 hp motor on Restricted Lakes?

I was wondering if anyone here might be running a Lund Fury 1600 SS w/ a 10-15 hp motor on HP restricted lakes? The reason I'm asking is that I'm looking at new boat options and some of our local lakes here in VA have 10 HP restrictions.

I want something more comfortable than a Jon Boat so don't want to go that route and have been looking at the Fury 1600 SS (side console). And I already have an older model 2 Stroke 9.9 Yamaha with low hrs. that I'll be putting on the boat that has the 15 hp Carb. mod. So I was trying to see if someone may be using a similar rig and how the performance was. It's difficult to find anyone running these boats w/ such small motors.

I know I won't be breaking any speed records but would be happy to get 15 mph or so out of it, which I believe I could as I usually fish alone, but would still like to hear from anyone that might have some first hand experience.

Appreciate any info you may have to offer.

Thanks,
    YB

Post Thanks / Like

I run a 1625 Rebel XL with an T8 Yamaha one it and the T8 pushes it just fine. I only troll with mine, but it works well.

Your motor should push yours faster simply because the gearbox is geared differently.
    I would think it would do fine. Most lakes with a HP restriction don't really want you going to fast anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the Crestliners with the same configuration you are looking at with the Lunds. Reason I say that is because I've owned 2 of these boats and would not go any other way. Check out the specs on both the Lund & Crestliner. Weight is lighter than Lund and the width is wider to boot, affording more room. Also, instead of carpeting or vynal coverings like the Lunds most often offer, you can get these boats with a spray on, slip resistant coating instead, similar to Rhino Lining in truck beds. Much better option, being easier to keep clean - in my opinion anyway.

As long as you pick the right engine for any of these smaller boats, they will move along just fine. Make sure the engine's cavitation plate is at the lowest point of the transom, where the keel ends. An adjustable jack plate will give you more mph than just putting the engine on the transom itself, but most folks don't want to go into that kind of detail to "peak out" performances. But it can be done just as well as with a 150 hp bass boat. Believe me!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

If it were me, I would be looking for something like Carolina skiff. It suits my fishing style better and I think it be more efficient in that hp range.

Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate the input guys, but I'm really just interested in getting some info on the Fury at this time, if anyone has any they can share.

Thanks,
    YB

Post Thanks / Like

I am in a similar situation. We have numerous hp restricted lakes in my area. Some 10hp and some 25hp. I currently have a 14' Alumacraft that has a 4' beam. I have a 1957 Johnson 10hp and max about 7mph. Speed isn't a concern, nor has it prevented me from winning Crappie Tournaments. Presley's Outdoors (local outdoor store) had a 16' Fury on display and I checked it out. I have also been looking at the Alumacraft 16' Classic, tiller. Can't beat the size of the live well in the Alumacraft. Check em out. I didn't know Crestliner made fishing boats.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!