Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Battery question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Battery question

I use a Deep cycle battery for everything on the boat except trolling motor (starting, depth finder, bilge, radio, etc)
    And i use another Deep cycle battery for the trolling motor.
    My question is, is this how I should have it setup? My newest battery is the one i use for starting, etc. and it just died on me. My old battery that is on the trolling motor has been going strong for 8 years.
    Thanks for any input

Post Thanks / Like

Ive been reading up on this, maybe I shouldnt be using a deep cycle battery as the starting battery?

Post Thanks / Like

Mines setup for a single battery on my trolling motor. Then my start bilge live well pump lights pretty much everything other then the troll is set up on my starting battery and I called a local marine about it and they told me lights bilge ect have such a low amp draw that it's fine thata way you got a volt guage? And good charger?

DrNip is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

No need having all your accessories on a deep cycle.

Post Thanks / Like

GuffinsBay a deep cycle wet cell battery (the most common type of battery) is not made to hold up to the sudden need for power like starting a motor. Deep cycle batteries are made for the long constant draw of power like a trolling motor uses. A starting battery is made for that sudden burst of power to start a motor. That is why your deep cycle used for a starting battery died so fast. If you use an AGM or Gel battery it can be used for both starting and trolling.

Post Thanks / Like

. The Optima line of batteries has the yellow top series which fits into the last group that Pam mentioned.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I was just worried about running the radio and depth finder off of the starting battery. But it sounds like that is how it should be done. Off to buy a Starting battery. Thanks!!