Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Which 16' BnM rod to buy?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which 16' BnM rod to buy?

I already own a Sam Heaton 12' and it's a good rod for the money. I'd like to have one 16' rod to start with directly out front of the boat.

How do the 16' Buck's graphite Jig pole/ Pro Staff Troller 16' rod compare to the SHSS? Which one is the better rod for feel and probing deep cover? Also has anyone tried the new Capps/Coleman rods from BnM and how do they compare to the others? I like slow poking around in deep cover myself. Is there any articles comparing the differences in those particular rods?

Thanks.......Larry

Hardyville Hart Co, Ky,45min fromNolin, 50 min. Green 55 min. Barren 75 min Dale!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Poles

Are you sure you want a 16' , The reason I ask is when you catch a fish and raise it out to the boat you can slap everyone in the boat trying to get it of the hook?
    I got a 14' to "dab" shallow brush,when you catch one, the fish is 12'in the air,then try to spool off some line, it's a cluster. someone could get hurt!
    My 14 is a BPS B&W it's a little heavy to hold very long at a time
    Good Luck

Rowdy
    Remember This Beautiful World is
    ''Only Temperary Housing''!

Rowdy

Post Thanks / Like

Anything over 10ft, unless trolling, is overkill.< IMO>
    A bad day fishing is better than a good day working anytime. So says the Perchmaster!!!

Post Thanks / Like

If your not planning on useing much weight the Sam Heaton will do great. If your gonna use some lead go with the pro staff troller. I like to use the 16 footer in water of 10' or less. Gets the bait away from the trolling motor. If your gonna fish deeper water then a shorter pole will be easier to use. Unless your water is ultra clear. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I have and love both poles. I use a 12' jigging poles for jigging around structures, and use a 14' Pro Staff Trolling rod for trolling and for deep structures. I feel the extra backbone the Trolling rod has is important for bringing slabs up from deeper water. Both poles are great and I never leave home without them.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'll be using

probably 1oz on bottom with two hooks above it. Looks like from what you guys are saying the pro staff troller has more backbone. I'll have to find a place around here that has some so I can see them before myself. The other day when I went into our BPS all they had was wally marshall rods. Since you can't get extra tips for his I've scratched them off my list. Thats for your replies guys....

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by crappiefarmer
    If your not planning on useing much weight the Sam Heaton will do great. If your gonna use some lead go with the pro staff troller. I like to use the 16 footer in water of 10' or less. Gets the bait away from the trolling motor. If your gonna fish deeper water then a shorter pole will be easier to use. Unless your water is ultra clear. CF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Larry-Southern Indiana
    probably 1oz on bottom with two hooks above it. Looks like from what you guys are saying the pro staff troller has more backbone. I'll have to find a place around here that has some so I can see them before myself. The other day when I went into our BPS all they had was wally marshall rods. Since you can't get extra tips for his I've scratched them off my list. Thats for your replies guys....

Larry
    I believe the pro trollers were tested with 5 ounce weights trolling 2 mph. They have a lot more backbone than anything else I have used and still have that good bnm sensitive tip. They are a bit on the heavy side though. Deffenantly a rod for the holder. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Larry, sounds like the Pro staff rod would be best for you. Although the Pro Staff is a little stiffer than the BGJP, the tip is still very sensitive to see those light winter bites. I have 4 Pro Staff and love them for tightlining.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer