HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Planer board question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Planer board question

I didn't find the answer to my question when I did the search so I'll ask it now.

I am thinking about getting some planer boards but, I'm worried that they won't "track" away from the boat at the speeds that I troll at in the winter which is sometimes less than .5 mph. Would this slow of a speed be an issue?

Post Thanks / Like

around 0.5 would not be an issue , but with the boards you can up your speed if you would like

RCC is offline Crappie.com Legend and Arkansas Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I never have been able to get planer boards to track unless I was running close to 1. They did not work well at all at .5. I'm not a pro at this technique so maybe someone will step up and give a definite yes or no.
    RCC's Crappie Eradication Service
    Eliminating your slab problems one fish at a time
    For free estimates give us a call at O U 812.

Etowah, Tn. foothills to the Smokey Mountains
    Post Thanks / Like

If you got a good quality board it will track. We've got the best one in the USA made only for crappie. Only problem is the guy who makes them has deciced to retire. If some smart company were to call him they would hit a homerun and a goldmine.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Having fished with tenncrappie and sailfish1, I will agree that the boards they use will track away from the boat at very low speeds. The factory boards like Offshore and Church's don't track away from the boat as well. They work much better at 0,8-1.0. I think your hookset will be a huge factor at those low speeds.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Thanks chimneyman thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have used the Off Shore OR-12 (the bigger Off Shore) at .5 mph and they track just fine. With the tattle flags, we even stall the board sometimes. It takes a lot longer to deploy boards at slow speeds - so when setting them, just speed up a little and then once they are set - you can slow down again. The faster you can troll, the more fish you will put your lures in front of. Varying speeds will also trigger more strikes.
    Take a senior or a kid fishing soon!
    Likes Yodibuzz LIKED above post

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

My experience with the boards is just using the ones tenncrappie uses and the minis like the Church's and Offshore OR34. I have a pair of the small Yellow Birds but haven't got them wet yet. I can see where the larger boards should be better at slow speeds.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

tommy skarlis, now where have i heard that name before,hmmmmm..congratulations man on the great year you had last year and the big win
    Likes Tommy Skarlis LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Change the angle of the line clip vs board or increase the amount of drag (ie board size) to increase spread at low speeds.

Etowah, Tn. foothills to the Smokey Mountains
    Post Thanks / Like

The boards we use will sit straight up from the time you put them in the water till up to 2.0mph . You can start from a absolute standing start. And I've had great success with them in the winter months when running them .5mph.