Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Stevensville Report

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stevensville Report

I finally got to put the boat in the water this past Saturday. I drove down to Stevensville and fished the canal from the boat landing. I did not tear them up but I did catch two of the biggest crappie of my life. I bought one of those crappie checker gagets that you slip the nose of the crappie into and it holds the fish still when measuring. The fish were too big for the device. They would not slip down the holder. They fell about two inches short of the stop.
    I caught the fish on Ms. Becky jigs (Blue/White with silver strips) tipped with crappie nibble under a slip cork set @ about 9' deep. The bite was very soft.
    The cork never went down, not even on the big ones, it would just lay on its side.
    I noticed bunches of fish, with the fish finder, around the 10-11 foot depth in the middle of the canal. I am just not quite proficient enough to catch them, YET! But boy, I sure like practicing!
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon
    I finally got to put the boat in the water this past Saturday. I drove down to Stevensville and fished the canal from the boat landing. I did not tear them up but I did catch two of the biggest crappie of my life. I bought one of those crappie checker gagets that you slip the nose of the crappie into and it holds the fish still when measuring. The fish were too big for the device. They would not slip down the holder. They fell about two inches short of the stop.
    I caught the fish on Ms. Becky jigs (Blue/White with silver strips) tipped with crappie nibble under a slip cork set @ about 9' deep. The bite was very soft.
    The cork never went down, not even on the big ones, it would just lay on its side.
    I noticed bunches of fish, with the fish finder, around the 10-11 foot depth in the middle of the canal. I am just not quite proficient enough to catch them, YET! But boy, I sure like practicing!
    Hey Deac,

I was there this weekend too. It was slow for us too. I fished with Crappie Buster around the grassy lake area until the hunters warned us that buck shot might hit us. We caught only three fish, but they were all over 1.5 lbs. All our fish fell the Crappie Buster's hair jigs. He was using black/chart. with the red head. I was using the "Fugly" black/chart,red wing with the red head. Crappie Buster stuck one that was over 14 inches long. I live in Abbeville and drive over an hour to fish there. But when you catch nice fish like that, its worth the drive.
    I'd rather be fishing!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Hey, Deacon.....

Good job! Have you gotten a measurement and weight yet? We'd like to hear about it. I caught one about two weeks ago that measured 16 5/8 inches in length, but only weighed 1lb 13oz. She was strong enough to slip the drag and pull line out about 10 yards from the boat. I thought it was a bass 'till it surfaced. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SacalaitSlammer
    Hey Deac,

I was there this weekend too. It was slow for us too. I fished with Crappie Buster around the grassy lake area until the hunters warned us that buck shot might hit us. We caught only three fish, but they were all over 1.5 lbs. All our fish fell the Crappie Buster's hair jigs. He was using black/chart. with the red head. I was using the "Fugly" black/chart,red wing with the red head. Crappie Buster stuck one that was over 14 inches long. I live in Abbeville and drive over an hour to fish there. But when you catch nice fish like that, its worth the drive.
    Next time you pass through we might get together. Let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by labill
    Good job! Have you gotten a measurement and weight yet? We'd like to hear about it. I caught one about two weeks ago that measured 16 5/8 inches in length, but only weighed 1lb 13oz. She was strong enough to slip the drag and pull line out about 10 yards from the boat. I thought it was a bass 'till it surfaced. :D
    I am afraid to say I got neither a measurement or weight. I released all the fish. I have been watching some tapes I bought from Bill Dance and "The In-Fisherman" and dreaming about catching some crappie. It felt so good to be on the water and hang into some fish, and since it really was not a lot, I just let them go to fight another day. Maybe next time I go they will recognize my jig and say, "Hey, this guys going to let us go anyway so lets give him a bite". And then they might call all their cousins over too. (LOL)

Post Thanks / Like

I am afraid to say I got neither a measurement or weight. I released all the fish. I have been watching some tapes I bought from Bill Dance and "The In-Fisherman" and dreaming about catching some crappie. It felt so good to be on the water and hang into some fish, and since it really was not a lot, I just let them go to fight another day. Maybe next time I go they will recognize my jig and say, "Hey, this guys going to let us go anyway so lets give him a bite". And then they might call all their cousins over too. (LOL)
    They'll still be there when you get back. Like I've heard you say before, it was a beautiful day to be fishing.

Tell me about "Ms. Becky's Jigs," never heard of them before, and by your success they must be some good ones. Are they tied there in S. LA, or ordered from somewhere else? We can never have enough good jigs when the bite gets tough... :D Keep 'em coming Deacon, maybe they will remember you let them go.....lol!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by labill
    They'll still be there when you get back. Like I've heard you say before, it was a beautiful day to be fishing.

Tell me about "Ms. Becky's Jigs," never heard of them before, and by your success they must be some good ones. Are they tied there in S. LA, or ordered from somewhere else? We can never have enough good jigs when the bite gets tough... :D Keep 'em coming Deacon, maybe they will remember you let them go.....lol!
    Ms. Becky jigs are made right here in Jeanerette Louisiana. As a matter of fact the daughter of the guy who makes them works with me.
    As soon as I get a chance I will send you some.
    Send me a private message with your address.

Post Thanks / Like

Ms. Becky jigs are made right here in Jeanerette Louisiana. As a matter of fact the daughter of the guy who makes them works with me.
    As soon as I get a chance I will send you some.
    Send me a private message with your address.
    Will do, Deacon, and thanks for your generosity,........but I don't expect you to pay for my jigs or the shipping. I'll PM you with the address and ph.#, just include a note with your cost and I will reimburse you via money order. Keep us posted if you find those biguns again...... :D Good luck!