Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best tasting.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best tasting.

I have fished all over Missouri and Illnois and I honestly think the crappie from Wappapella are the best tasting of any I have ever caught any where. Any thoughts?

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this over time or just recently see a difference? I am not a fish eater but have been told many times by people I have gave fish to and others that they always taste better out of the cold water in winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, cold water crappie do taste best.

I find that if I throw the keeper crappie on ice verses the live well in the summer it does improve the quality.
    The best way to get to where you want to be in the future is to act like you are there TODAY.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jigging15 View Post
    Is this over time or just recently see a difference? I am not a fish eater but have been told many times by people I have gave fish to and others that they always taste better out of the cold water in winter.

From day 1. I never thought about cold water fish. Makes sense.
    Likes Jigging15 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Type of water they are in can make a difference as well. Clear, dirt, swamp etc..

Post Thanks / Like

I've never had a bad tasting crappie. The only fish I have noticed have varying tastes is paddlefish. The smaller ones that I catch below Bagnell Dam taste a lot better fried up than the big ones we catch from Lake of the Ozarks and Tablerock. It may be a big fish vs little fish thing instead of the body of water though.

Post Thanks / Like

Back in the mid to late 50's my dad and grandpa used to catch carp and buffalo in the shallows after ice out if there was ice, out of lake ozark before it got all smelly and dirty. They would dress em and cut in about 1 in. chunks and then grandma would pressure cook and can em. pretty good stuff. Don't think I would munch on one now. And yes fish coming out of cold water is better tastin then summer , but still most all fish taste yummy
    Likes Downsea LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

i dont think Mississippi crappie taste nearly as good as Missouri crappie. have fished 4 different of the big lake down there thru the years and i dont think its even close.
    But they sure grow em BIG.

Post Thanks / Like

Cold water fish the meat is cleaner because theres no algy or bacteria in th winter water too cold. just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never done any research on the subject, but I can see where it would be of great help to the masses out there, therefor I shall ask each and everyone of y'all to catch clean,lable,freeze, and on a given day bring me the years catch and I will sample each and every one over time and let you know of my results. sound fair to me.
    Likes dfar, truman13, Speck, Jerkey Log, mac LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast