Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Two outstanding flies

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Two outstanding flies

I was pleased to read this WWFF article by Tom Keith because I have been using these two outstanding wet flies for years and they give me consistently good results. I am very confident when fishing either of these to two flies. The "Improved" part of the name on these flies to me just means that they are now soft hackles and easier to tie without the wing found on the original patterns. Hen hackle color seems to vary from tyer to tyer on the McGinty wet fly and I don't think it really matters as much as retaining the original red hackle tail and yellow, black, yellow body. I think the original calls for Ginger Hen hackle that is kind of a rust color and matching white duck quill sections for the wing. I also don't think that the lack of the original wing matters much because I've had good results despite other hackle colors and the lack of a wing. To me, the Black Gnat wet fly here is just an all black version of the McGinty . I know there are other versions of this fly also but I like the one that is given in the article. Tom gives sizes 10 to 14 but I just use size 10 and sometimes 12.

Wet Flies for Big 'Gills and Crappies
    Last edited by dixieangler; 11-10-2006 at 08:23 PM.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

Robert -- I agree about the McGinty. I tied several versions a couple of months ago, some with the hackle some without, and all have been productive for bluegill. Have you had luck catching specks with it? With or without hackle doesn't seem to matter.

Post Thanks / Like

The McGinty wet fly is a good bream fly but I have not caught Specks on it (that doesn't mean Specks won't bite it though). I would tie the McGinty with hen hackle (just about any color I have on hand) just to make it look like the fly has legs but whether there is a wing or not doesn't really matter to me. The Black Gnat is probably a better Speck fly.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this post I was thinking about trying to catch a few bream on flyes next may. The lake that I have in mind is a verry shallow lake 6' is about as deep as it gets. We caught them in water about 18" deep this may.

Thanks Sam
    Let's go fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up The McGinty

jhook,

I can now say that I have caught a Speck on the McGinty. :D (see link below)

http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=30428
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

Nice. What is a chartreuse yellow crappie candy. Do you have the fly tying recipe for it? I might try some of them.

I am looking to get some MCGintys tied for me, so if you could post that recipe as well, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you/
    Andy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drew03cmc
    Nice. What is a chartreuse yellow crappie candy. Do you have the fly tying recipe for it? I might try some of them.

I am looking to get some MCGintys tied for me, so if you could post that recipe as well, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you/
    Hi Andy,

Here's the Crappie Candy fly pattern recipe (link below):

Crappie Candy

For the Crappie Candy yarn I use this brand (see these links for the brand colors bright green and bright yellow) for the fluorescent green and what I call yellow chartreuse:

http://www.uniekinc.com/yarn.html

Color Chart

I can usually find some of these at craft stores or other craft departments of department stores so I don't have to place an order.

For the IBG and the IM, I don't know of a web-site that has these exact pattern recipes (there may be one though) so I will give them as I tie them.

IBG or Improved Black Gnat

Hook:Southbend or Matzuo baitholder (most any baitholder) or any standard wet fly hook in sizes 8 and smaller (size 10 is my most used but I also use sizes 8 and 12). EagleClaw 084A-8 is a plain short shank that should also work.

Thread: Black 6/0

Tail: Black hackle fibers (hook shank length)

Body: Black chenille

Hackle collar: Two or three turns of black hen hackle and laid back wet fly style

Head: Black thread

IM or Improved McGinty

Hook:Southbend or Matzuo baitholder (most any baitholder) or any standard wet fly hook in sizes 8 and smaller (size 10 is my most used but I also use sizes 8 and 12). EagleClaw 084A-8 is a plain short shank that should also work.

Thread: Black 6/0

Tail: Red hackle fibers (hook shank length)

Body: One turn of each color yellow, black, and yellow chenille

Hackle collar: Two or three turns of yellow or ginger hen hackle and laid back wet fly style

Head: Black thread
    Last edited by dixieangler; 01-01-2007 at 06:33 PM.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, amazing. Thank you so much! I will get on top of tying some of these up and posting how they do for me come panfish time!
    Andy