Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: rod sensitivity

Post Thanks / Like

Default rod sensitivity

Is a IM8 rod more sensitive than a IM6, everything else (brand, length, etc.) being the same? And if "IM" doesn't influence sensitivity whats it for? And what makes a rod sensitive?

thanks
    Fair Weather

Post Thanks / Like

IM is the density or modules of graphite. Yes a IM8 is very much lighter and more sensitive. The higher the modules the lighter and more sensitive. Guides also make huge difference.

Post Thanks / Like

You should check out the line of outlaw crappie rods at WWW.fishoutlaw.com
    Blakemore/Roadrunner pro staff
    Southern Pro Tackle/ Pro Staff
    Driftmaster Rodholders
    Ranger Boats
    Likes sacriverjim LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

More guides=more contact from the line to the blank = more sensitivity. Also keep in mind a soft tip allows the tiny jigs to be cast with better accuracy.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Just keep in mind that one thread of IM8 make the whole rod IM8 (the rest of the rod could be IM3). More important is how the rod is constructed (thickness/thinness of the graphite, taper, etc) than what IM number the graphite is or is not. Also when a rod is just a blank it is at it's most sensitive state, everything additional added takes away sensitivity (excessive guides, epoxy, thread, paint, grips etc all take away from the rod's ability to transmit vibration (ie sensitivity).

Post Thanks / Like

i agree with crappieking i use the 7'2'' outlaw crappie pole im7 graphite. the rod seems to magnify the vibtation as is transmits up the rod. it has alot of backbone too. ive got some im7 and 8 rods i paid alot more for and they feel mushy after using my outlaws. thnx for all the good information in this topic.

Post Thanks / Like

So can a "mushy" or "limber" or "floppy" rod be sensitive? That's one reason I brought this up. I'm feeling the bite better on medium or medium lite rods, not lite rods. This goes against the conventional wisdom of what the rod makers call "crappie rods". Just thinking. Just saying.

fair weather

Post Thanks / Like

im by far not an expert on the subject but i watched a vid by jr oldham the owner of outlaw rods and he talked about getting the finest graphite he could get in the world out of japan and he talked bout how the special graphite blend they use gives it sensitivity and backbone and when i put that with what bfish says it kinda starts to make sense to me. bfish am i correct in saying that a lesser im rated rod can be more sensitive than a higher im rated rod if its constructed from a blank using higher quality graphite blend. its not as much the rating or the power as it is the quality of the graphite blemd and the way the rod is built ( how many and type of eyes, type of handle, quality of the cork vs eva for handle and ect.) sorry if im rambling but im trying to figure this out too.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

IMHO ...
    One has to take into account what "sensitivity" means to them. In the case of the IM6 lite action rods with a parabolic bend ... some may say sensitivity may be in the visual sense. In other words, it bends easier so you "see" the rod tip move. Whereas in the higher modulus IM6 (or higher), and especially those with fast action tips, the sensitivity is more in the "feel".

The action of the rod can increase or decrease the sensitivity as much as the amount of graphite, quality of graphite, or the IM rating number indicates.

Case in point :

My 7' Sam Heaton is IM6 w/parabolic bend (slow action) ... only moderately sensitive.
    My 7' Bionic Blade is IM8 w/med action ... very sensitive (esp. when used with braid).
    My 6'6" ESP is IM6 w/extra fast action & vibration enhancing disc's within the handle, that are around the blank & touching the inside of the graphite handle ... extremely sensitive.

Sensitivity only matters when using "rod in hand" techniques, like casting/swimming jigs ... and in most of those cases I'm line watching, so sensitivity is less of a factor. But, even when a bite occurs on semi-slack line, I can still "feel" most bites when using the Bionic Blade or ESP rods. Not so much when using the Sam Heaton with this method.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

thnx pappy for the info. one thing i did try that made a difference was how i hold the rod. im still have to remember to do it but when a grasp the fore grip if i roll my hand so that my index finger is on top of the grip and i extend my index finger and lay it on top of the blank i can feel very light bites alot better. i bass fished for many years before i started trying to learn how to crappie fish and learned to watch my line so that part comes naturally but the rest of it is like learning to fish all over again. i get frustrated because i dont usually keep up with some the really good crappie fishermen in my club but im slowly learning by absorbing everything i can on here and just getting out there and trying what i've learned.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast