Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rod and reel are not balanced

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod and reel are not balanced

Ok, so I took my 7 foot Ugly Stick in to get the second guide replaced because it was broken, my fault. I discovered that my brand new baitcast reel I bought last year has a big chunk of foam missing from the grip. It still has the manufacturer's protective wrap on it. I will never use that moving company again, EVER!!! Two window air conditioners were ruined also. Anyway, I found an old 6 1/2 foot Ugly Stick, light action and a Shakespear Spinning Reel that I had forgotten I had. I just finished taking the reel apart, cleaning and lubing it thoroughly. The only problem is it is it is way out of balance. When I rest the front grip on one finger, the tip drops to the ground. How should I bring it back into balance? I was thinking of adding weight to the butt but I don't know how to do it. Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BFVsForever View Post
    I was thinking of adding weight to the butt but I don't know how to do it. Any ideas greatly appreciated!
    Bass Pro has a kit that does this -- easy as pie. I'll try to post a link.

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't find the BP version, but here's one from Jann's. I'm sure Cabela's has something similar, too.

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/butt-ca...022100008.aspx

Post Thanks / Like

I found exactly what I need at Mudhole.com, thanks for pointing me in the right direction!!!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

And I've seen people use the plastic cap from aluminum chair legs & put quarters or metal slugs in them, too

Another alternative is to put a bigger/heavier reel on the rod ... but, that might require taking the rod to a store & experimenting with different reels. There does come a point where the extra weight of the balanced rod/reel is as cumbersome as the unbalanced setup.

That's the problem with the Ugly Sticks ... they're tip heavy due to the fiberglass end.

... cp
    Likes Hat55 LIKED above post