Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Help a Trollin' Newb Out!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help a Trollin' Newb Out!

I've been a life long bass fisherman, just getting into the art of trolling for slabs, walleyes and stripers. More or less, just wanting to expand my fishing techniques because I don't like going through the same routine every time out. So I'd appreciate anything you fellas can share on these couple questions:

1. I have a couple rod holders mounted on the port and starboard of my boat, but was thinking of mounting a couple single rod holders on the back of the boat for trolling. What style is best for this purpose?

2. What gear would you recommend for beginner crankbait trolling? I don't know anything about size/type of crank to use, nor how to rig and pull em.

Thank you so much guys!

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

#1. What kind of boat we talking about? Rood holders are going to depend on what you have to mount them to.

#2 get a few of these in various colors http://www.overstockbait.com/Rebel-C...-R-p/dc935.htm
    And some Bandit 300's in black/chrome, blue/chrome, pink, Sardis gold, mistake

Use some of your bass gear for pulling. Med hvy rods, bait casting or spinning. I prefer braid in 20/4. Some use 30 braid and some use 10 lb high vis mono. Depends where your fishing and how often your going to get hung up.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    #1. What kind of boat we talking about? Rood holders are going to depend on what you have to mount them to.

#2 get a few of these in various colors http://www.overstockbait.com/Rebel-C...-R-p/dc935.htm
    And some Bandit 300's in black/chrome, blue/chrome, pink, Sardis gold, mistake

Use some of your bass gear for pulling. Med hvy rods, bait casting or spinning. I prefer braid in 20/4. Some use 30 braid and some use 10 lb high vis mono. Depends where your fishing and how often your going to get hung up.
    I have a Tracker Pro Crappie 175. I would like to be able to pull at least 2 rods off the back.

And thanks for the rest of the suggestions!

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If 2 is all you want to pull off the back, I would purchase 2 drift master base's. Mount one on either side at the rear. Get 2 drift master holders with the longer stems. Screw them in with a lock nut screwed on first. That way you set holder to the position you want then use a wrench to tighten the lock nut down so they can't turn.

Likes Stripes LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Eventually, I want to set my boat up to be a trollin' machine. What I'm envisioning is:

Spider Rig up front to push crappie jigs
    A setup like you just mentioned on the back for longlining and pulling cranks/umbrellas for crappie and hybrids
    Maybe a couple downriggers on the side for deep water walleye and hybrids in the summer

Plus, all these rod holders will come in handy when it comes time for some night time catfish drifting!

Post Thanks / Like

If your looking for pole holders on the front go to sponsors site and check out the Spider-Lock holders by E-Z poleHolder. Most adjustable and strongest holders made. Until you put your hands on them you can't believe the quality.

Post Thanks / Like

As far as size and type of crankbaits - You might have some from your bass fishing that will work nicely. Anything that imitates the forage base (most times that is shad) will work. Bombers, Bandits, Rebels, Wiggle Warts, etc. We won the Crappie Masters "ship" last year on Berkley Flicker Shads (5's and 6's) and Salmo Hornets (4's and 5's) all great cranks to use as well. For line I would suggest Berkley XT 10 pound test and to tell where the baits are running - I would suggest precision trolling dive curves - they offer both stickers for your tackle boxes and also have an I-phone app. Use a crankbait snap (swivel can be placed three feet from bait if needed) and make sure crankbait runs true. I would also highly suggest using Off Shore planer boards, One on each side of the boat to spread your lines.
    Take a senior or a kid fishing soon!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Skarlis View Post
    As far as size and type of crankbaits - You might have some from your bass fishing that will work nicely. Anything that imitates the forage base (most times that is shad) will work. Bombers, Bandits, Rebels, Wiggle Warts, etc. We won the Crappie Masters "ship" last year on Berkley Flicker Shads (5's and 6's) and Salmo Hornets (4's and 5's) all great cranks to use as well. For line I would suggest Berkley XT 10 pound test and to tell where the baits are running - I would suggest precision trolling dive curves - they offer both stickers for your tackle boxes and also have an I-phone app. Use a crankbait snap (swivel can be placed three feet from bait if needed) and make sure crankbait runs true. I would also highly suggest using Off Shore planer boards, One on each side of the boat to spread your lines.
    Thanks for the good info. I was worried that bass cranks would be too big. And if I run 4 lines out back I'm definitely going to invest in some boards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Thanks for the good info. I was worried that bass cranks would be too big. And if I run 4 lines out back I'm definitely going to invest in some boards.
    To get started - A pair of the bigger Off Shores (OR-12L and OR-12R) as well as two of the smaller OR-34 and you'll have enough to be dangerous with!
    Take a senior or a kid fishing soon!