Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Confused about Lowrance electronics need a couple answers please

Post Thanks / Like

Default Confused about Lowrance electronics need a couple answers please

O.k. you guys/gals helped me on my other post about which Trolling motor to upgrade to. I chose the Ipilot after reading all the glowing reviews. Now I need a Fish Finder and I am leaning towards Lowrance cause the screen looks beautiful on them and they seem easy to read.

Here is where I'm confused though, I noticed on their factory outlet site that they have multiple versions of each one. I am looking at the elite 5 and 7 series. I like the wider screen on the 7 series but the 5 looks good too. I have room on my big Center Console of the boat to put just about any size screen so I'm not worried about space.

Here is what I'm seeing and don't understand:

Take the Lowrance Elite 7 HDI for example: They got one for $699 that comes with transducer but they also have another one that costs $869 its a Gold version. The only difference I can see on them is the transducer on the gold is 50/200 455/800 where as the cheaper version has the 83/200 455/800, can someone explain to me what the difference is?

I actually only have a budget of $500 I want to spend on a Lowrance and they have some for right at that, but I'm second guessing myself as to what other features would I be missing out on in the higher priced ones? They have an Elite 7x HDI for only $549 with transducer but I'm wondering what more would I get if I buy the elite 7x they list for 700 or 800 dollars?? I just basically fish for crappie, bream, bass in local lakes, rivers, etc. I'm not a hardcore professional, I'd like to be able to see brush piles or stumps and rocks on the bottom of the water and mark fish if they are there. Deepest place I fish is about 30 feet but most lakes I'm on are 10-20 feet in a lot of places.

I'm not a technical guru, I just want a decent fish finder for $500 or less. Elite 7, elite 5 or maybe I should be looking at a different brand altogether? What do you all think? I know some of you are really into all the specs and research on these units so what do you recommend for the weekend fisherman who is not a pro and honestly I don't even care about the whole map thing. Most places I fish, we grew up around them so we don't need a map to tell us the name of each bayou, island, etc. I know that feature is nice if your fishing unfamiliar waters but I don't wanna pay hundreds extra just to have map features. Marking GPS is kind of cool but again I have a handheld GPS I can mark fishing spots with, if it will save me money.

Truly any advice will be great, should I be looking at a different brand, or is Lowrance ok? Any preference as to the 5 vs the 7 and which version/price point would handle what I want. Thanks in advance for any advice

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Team M&M View Post
    Take the Lowrance Elite 7 HDI for example: They got one for $699 that comes with transducer but they also have another one that costs $869 its a Gold version. The only difference I can see on them is the transducer on the gold is 50/200 455/800 where as the cheaper version has the 83/200 455/800, can someone explain to me what the difference is?
    The 50/200 is the saltwater/deepwater version. You probably don't need that.

The "Gold" version isn't about the transducer, but rather indicates that a Navionics mapping card is included in the package.

Here are the options for the 7 along with MSRP:

No transducer 000-10970-001 $599
    83/200 + 455/800 HDI 000-10966-001 $699
    83/200 + 455/800 HDI + Gold Pkg 000-11051-001 $769
    83/200 + 455/800 HDI + CMAP Max-N (Latin America ONLY) 000-10966-006 $899
    50/200 + 455/800 HDI 000-10967-001 $799
    50/200 + 455/800 HDI + Gold Pkg 000-10972-001 $869
    50/200 + 455/800 HDI + CMAP Max-N (Latin America ONLY) 000-10967-006 $899
    No transducer + CMAP Max-N (Latin American ONLY) 000-10970-004 $699

I suspect you'll want the 000-10966-001

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Lowrance Elite 5 DSI and really like it. The upgrade from that is the new Elite 5 HDI which includes sonar that the DSI didn't. Saw the 5 HDI on sale last weekend at Academy for $499.
    Randy Andres

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Here you go.
    http://www.bbgmarine.com/FISHFINDERS...duct_info.html
    Just call and talk to Brian. He will answer any and all questions you might have. Tell him your from C D C
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Default Confused about Lowrance electronics need a couple answers please

Team, IDK how old you are but, I'm telling you from experience as I have the HDS8-Gen2 w/SS & I also have the Elite5 Combo & the Elite5 DSI, you want to get the largest screen you can afford, even if you have to wait a little while to get it. I had the 5 Combo on my console, the 5 DSI on the TM & when I had the opportunity to get the 8, I was AMAZED at how much I was NOT seeing before. I'm just talking about the Down Scan & the 2D Sonar too. Then there is the Side Scan which is something else altogether! AWESOME! So, if your budget limits you to choosing between the 5 & 7, get the 7 by all means. That's MHO anyway. BTW, if you get the unit with the Insight mapping feature, you really can do without a Navionics card. The insight mapping is pretty good all by itself. Another opinion.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 03-24-2014 at 07:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with cray - Brian will treat you right. I also agree with Pepop - get the largest screen you can afford.